Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Smaller Gas Tank,Where are they?

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Scooter 
#1 ·
I know this flies in the face of conventional KLR thought,,,,,,but,,,I want to put a smaller gas tank on the KLR to lighten up the top heavyness when gas tank is filled. So its a bit easier to throw around,,,,if you know what I mean. Maybe a 5 or 4 gallon tank,,instead of the stock one. And if I do any long trips,,,I can always put the stock one back on. Its easy to do,,,,,so any clues????????

#3 ·
I gotta agree.. I've never seen a request for a smaller tank, but a smaller one will only weigh a pound or two at the most, less than the stock tank..

Maybe the KLR250 tank would be smaller and fit??:confused: Dunno, but not filling would eliminate the weight and, in true KLR fashion, be FREE!!:)

#4 ·
Yep, three votes for not filling it up all the way. You don't want to be changing tanks. And the KLR would feel inadequate. It has enough feelings of inadequacy as it is. I mean, my mother was never...wait, we were talking about bikes. Don't fill it up all the way. :)

#11 ·
I've heard of people doing that with the ping pong balls.

#14 ·
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. The idea though, Scoot, is that the balls take up space that would otherwise be occupied with gas without adding much weight.

#16 ·
Yeah,
my styrofoam gascans never sold well, either. Live and learn.

One vote for "fill it up and get used to it.".

Then when you want to go on some really crazy rides, then only run 2 1/2 gallons.
It'll feel like when ya take off ankle weights.

#18 ·
Styrofoam gas cans,,,,I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair! That was great! Yea ,,,when I put only half tank in,,it handles way better. I'm only 5 ft 6in,,,,175 lbs when wet,,and the big tank when full is quite a battle sometimes. Not all the time. But I would still like to remove that "point" at the bottom of tank,,,it would be easier to access motor bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.