Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum - View Single Post - Anyone know if a 2nd gen skid plate will fit a 1st gen?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 AM
pdwestman
OverDrive

The more I look at this skid plate, the more I think I understand its construction.

The Gen 2's don't have the 6mm skid plate mounting bolt at the front center frame pipe like a Gen 1. That 1/2 tall mount possibly pulls the plate to far forward on a Gen 1, for the forward bottom clamps to be in correct position. The forward bottom clamps may fit on the 'Y' of the frame, instead of on the straight sections which I am used to.
One could cut that little bracket off of a Gen 1 frame.

The large forward hole is possibly for the bottom of the large frame down tube to protude down thru a bit. But that 1/2 inch tall mounting tab above is again causing mis-alignment.

The staggered rear clamps with the 2 position LH clamp may allow for gear pedal clearance on the down-shift stroke when using OEM vs Aftermarket brand gear pedals.

A KX450F would be quite a bit narrower than a KLR650. Does this skid plate appear to allow about 1/4 - 1/2 inch clearance between both the flywheel cover & waterpump? It might be a GEN 2 KLR650 skid plate after all!

Good Luck!

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome