Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

CVK40 Carb part NEEDED!!!

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MTurner00 
#1 ·
Hey all...I've been trying to diagnose a fuel delivery issue with my 1996 KLX650C (no mods) recently after it had been sitting a long time. Prior to me, my Uncle had cleaned the carb and then it sat. I tore carb apart to find the dang jet-needle (collar) is missing! Can't find this part ANYWHERE online so far. Dealer can't get it anymore as it's discontinued. I really don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on another used carb just for a $30 part. I also tried the one for a Harley CV40...it doesn't work (someone on another board said it does...not even close).

Anybody got one laying around or an old carb they'd part with?

Could I possibly get one machined if I could get the specs?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Thanks, I have sent an email to the folks at Sudco (they are the main importer of Keihin Carbs for U.S.) and am waiting to hear back.

The carb model is the CVK40. But the part has been discontinued (according to Kawasaki anyway). And the same part off the CV40 that Harley used does not fit.

I'm stuck and might have to purchase a complete carb at this point simply to get one small piece that should be ridiculously easy to manufacture (it's basically a little coupler that the needle sits in from one end, has a lip around the middle to keep from falling into the venturi, and then is held in place by the main emulsifier tube on the other end).

#4 · (Edited)
Here's a reference for the part from BikeBandit for a 2007 CVK40:

16017:, JET-NEEDLE,#6, 16017-0055 (Fiche reference #, Description, Factory part number).

If you can find a KLX650 fiche, you can research the part there (BikeBandit.com). Kawasaki, "View Parts Diagrams" may produce similar results.

----------------------------------

EDIT: Uh-oh; found the KLX650, but . . . with HEARTBREAKING words:

16017: JET-NEEDLE 16017-1367
1 Unavailable to ship

#9 ·
The more I fiddle with these things the more strange stuff I run into.

The difference in the various collars, at least within the Kawasaki line, seems to be the length from the shoulder of the annular ring to the end of the section that sticks up into the venturi. For example, the KLR collar is about .020" longer than the Vulcan collar.

MTurner00 has definitively determined that the Sportster collar has larger outside diameters than the Kawasaki collars and won't even enter the emulsifier/jet holder chamber.

The Kawasaki bore through to the venturi is .200", with the small end of the collars being .196" and the large end being .205".

#10 ·
The OEM KLX650 service manual does not even state what Keihin Needle Jet # / size is used. It simply gives the 16017-1367 part number! Used in both the -A dirt model & -C dual sport model.

I can also only suggest one try the KLR650 #6 / 16017-0055 needle Jet. It will either be richer or leaner, I would guess.
Maybe one ought to also order the KLX650-A adjustable jet Needle, circlip & thick brass top spacer, works well on the KLR650s, correct?

Reactions: campfire
#11 ·
I ordered the kit that Tom so graciously found for me off ebay. It is a carb rebuild kit for KLR650 but includes this piece. I'll be certain to let you all know how it works out. Also, I promised Tom some measurements on the Harley collar. My measuring calipers are in my tool chest at my sister's house right now (in between while we are building a new home). But once I get my hands on them, I'll be sure to measure.

Thanks everyone! That little sucker was frustrating the heck out of me! The bike will only start with a boost of starting fluid...then throttles fairly well but pops when letting off throttle and also will not idle without feathering the throttle. I'm sure after the thorough cleaning and now putting this part back in, my problems should be solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.