Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikeyg396 
#1 ·
Hi Folks

Well after 48yrs of riding street bikes I finally bought an 2009 KLR650 to get off road. Some off my non-riding friends think I`m an old fool. At 71 maybe I am. But I`m in good shape and ready to ride. Most of my riding will be done on dirt and gravel roads no desert crossings or mounting riding. I have been on this site for the last month or so reading about everything I can about the KLR. A friend of mine has a KLR with years behind the bars so I`m not alone. The bike has only 4500k on it and in excellent condition. I`ll do the doohicky and a complete service. Once I get a little use to it I`ll make other mods. Right now it has aftermarket bars on it so I`m looking for stock bars. Thank you

#2 ·
Welcome. For the kind of riding you describe you should be pleased with your KLR. I use my KLR as an only bike and I am a senior citizen. Which means I still get out in the breeze, but don't push to the edge like before.
If that's like your expectations, you should enjoy your purchase. I am on my second KLR.l, btw.
Welcome again!

#5 ·
One of the handlebars that is really popular among the Gen2 community is the ProTamper SE ATV High. They have a 32" width, 6.3" height and 4" pull; fit well and open up a number of hand guard options. That big Gen2 nose makes bar and guard fitment kind of tough. Of course the stockers are probably widely available for the cheap. Good luck!

#7 ·
Are the handlebars properly centered?

Rotating the bars 1-2 degrees back might give enough space.

Masking tape on both sides of the windshield, fine tooth jig saw on Slow, could put a scallop or contour on the sides of the shield for clearance. Finish with file & sand paper.

Or a Dremel tool & Sharp burr.

And welcome to the forum.

#9 ·
Handle bars

Hi Folks. Well I sat on the bike. Closed my eyes. Put my hands on the bars then I adjusted the pull back on the bars so my hands sit on the grips at the base of my fingers. Doing this put the bars where they should be and now I can go lock to lock with no interference. I what to thank everyone for their help and kind welcoming words. I have a OEM manual and my mission for today will be reading about the fuel system. Riding on gravel and dirt roads on You Tube is also a top priority. Enjoy your day

#11 ·
Pro Taper SE ATV high ? Had a look at the website and it only lists up to 2007 for handlebars. Assuming a 2014 has the same bar, but I don't see a listing for this !?!
I'm pretty sure that I found what you're looking at. It's the "Shop by Fitment" page on the Pro Taper website. Obviously Pro Taper needs to be told the KLR650 was produced in years after 2007. Also, I suspect that the bar(s) that results from that search would be a bar(s) with the stock dimensions....which are, 32" wide, 3" rise and 3" pull for Gen2. The SE ATV High dimensions are 32" wide, 6.3" rise and 4.0" pull. Three inches more height (at bar end) and a third more pull than the stockers make them a popular selection, particularly for riders that are standing up on the pegs on trails.

Honestly, I don't use fitment charts like the one on Pro Taper for handlebars. What's important to me are the measurements of a bar that fit my personal needs and still works in an unobstructed manner on the bike. So many people replace the weak stock bar and then have a set of bar risers, too. Why not just get a bar with a rise that eliminates the additional hardware and cost? Or correct whatever measurement spec with a correctly fitted bar.

As for the Pro Taper SE, I think it's a good bar in the 7/8" group. If you click on the Technical Tab at the bottom of that page, you'll see measurement specs for all the sizes in the SE model.

https://www.protaper.com/product/88/se-handlebars/black

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.