Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Minnesota riders

19K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  Guyinnd 
#1 ·
Any Minnesota riders out there?

#43 ·
I live in St Louis Park and have an A17 (with an A16 tank!) and a 2013 DL650, but won't have either bike out of storage for some time.
I'm planning on using the stay at home period to do a bunch of overdue maintenance. With my wrenching skills, and lower back issues, it may take a while.

With a name like line6distortion, let's hear about your guitars!

#42 ·
Born and raised in Warren MN, then went to tech school for lineman in Jackson MN. Then moved to east coast. (not cool, but good money)
Retired 3 years ago and spent last 2 summers in Warren and going back for the summer in 2 weeks.
The KLR is perfect for the highways and back roads in northern MN. I can take a gravel road anywhere I need to go, till I have to go in town.

2 dudes riding the fence, one from MN and on from WI, they meet up at the same time and their is a sheep with its head stuck in the fence. SO the MN dude gets of his klr and goes over to the sheep and drops his pants and has at it. Gets done and pulls up his pants and sais to the WI dude (don't you want some.) ( and the WI dude sais, I anient sticken my head in that fence.....

#54 ·
Born and raised in Warren MN, then went to tech school for lineman in Jackson MN. Then moved to east coast. (not cool, but good money)
Retired 3 years ago and spent last 2 summers in Warren and going back for the summer in 2 weeks.
The KLR is perfect for the highways and back roads in northern MN. I can take a gravel road anywhere I need to go, till I have to go in town.

2 dudes riding the fence, one from MN and on from WI, they meet up at the same time and their is a sheep with its head stuck in the fence. SO the MN dude gets of his klr and goes over to the sheep and drops his pants and has at it. Gets done and pulls up his pants and sais to the WI dude (don't you want some.) ( and the WI dude sais, I anient sticken my head in that fence.....
Just across the river in ND... about 60 miles from Warren.. know a few people from there (actually the game warden there is married to my Neice!!! ) He's a great guy...right? ??? lol

#44 ·
Vgraf, nothin fancy regarding guitars. a beater Samick I rebuilt, an Alvarez acoustic, a Dragon Mountain neck, body, parts assembled SG (actually a very good playing guitar) and a beater Gibson LP (walnut - "the Paul" - good player.

doubt I have a grand in the whole lot

but like beer - there is only beer and no beer. guitar playing gets me by. I was an accomplished drummer as a boy, (kinda shows when I play guitar) gave up drums cuz they are too hard to smash on stage

good musical eye catching the line6distortion

Chaska mn

#47 ·
Minnetonka Klr rider here.

I moved out here for work from California, 6 years ago, and sold my dirt bikes when I did. Just bought a 2000 KLR to get back on the off road. Great forum, has already helped immensely! If there are any KLR guys in the Hennepin area, I'd love tips on where to have some fun. I assume Carver county might have something!

Bike should be ready for some riding in the next week or two, its a low mile, but much much abused USMC surplus bike sold last by the Wisconsin DNR, so at least I can blame WI for my woes.

#48 ·
Minnetonka Klr rider here.

I moved out here for work from California, 6 years ago, and sold my dirt bikes when I did. Just bought a 2000 KLR to get back on the off road. Great forum, has already helped immensely! If there are any KLR guys in the Hennepin area, I'd love tips on where to have some fun. I assume Carver county might have something!

Bike should be ready for some riding in the next week or two, its a low mile, but much much abused USMC surplus bike sold last by the Wisconsin DNR, so at least I can blame WI for my woes.
hey Girugamesh I am in Chaska. do you have your bike running? is it diesel? todd in chaska, Line6distortion

#49 · (Edited)
Hey Line6, glad to have someone near by!

No i do not and if you wanna hear my tale.... i have new exhaust studs, a new IMS 6.6 fuel tank, and carb parts all on the way. It was running fine but lean, hot, and stuttering on decel. Bad fuel for years really took a number both of the rubber valves in the kei hin were perished and disintigrating into the carb, as you can see by the black colored stuff i sprayed out and the valve in the picture below....and despite managing to clean out the stock ims tank, it ended up having a crack i only found once setting it down on its side and watching a chunk of paint slough off 30 minutes later. Took the header and exhaust off and noticed the sheared exhaust header so that explained the decel, I was running one and a half a stud! SO yeah, shes back apart but mercifully its not the crazy nato diesel so parts and such have all been pretty easy to fetch. I am a little sad that im losing the "original" usmc thing but I think mine was too torn up to do the full resto that others have done. I should have it good to at least do some light dirt or streets no problem later this month. Brake light also seems to not want to actuate even though the bulb seems good, but thats maybe this afternoons' challenge.

ps: Pardon the messy shop!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Water Beige Concrete Soil
Automotive tire Wheel Fluid Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

#50 ·
Giru, wow quite the machine. I am solid mechanically but not a Guro like others on the list. What is your intent with the busted exhaust stud? Never thought about what I would do. does it not attach and fasten anymore? Q2: Brake light - if it works, is is front failing, rear failing or both? I put a bent into the rear swithch linkage (spring) to increase the force when rear applied. have never futst with the front switch on the handle bar. Q3 are you finding Keihn parts for internals, or a entire new carb? I had good luck with servicing pilot jet in the past. Mine is 02 A16.

Good luck, let me know when it runs. line6 by the way are you a musician?

#52 ·
Giru, wow quite the machine. I am solid mechanically but not a Guro like others on the list. What is your intent with the busted exhaust stud? Never thought about what I would do. does it not attach and fasten anymore? Q2: Brake light - if it works, is is front failing, rear failing or both? I put a bent into the rear swithch linkage (spring) to increase the force when rear applied. have never futst with the front switch on the handle bar. Q3 are you finding Keihn parts for internals, or a entire new carb? I had good luck with servicing pilot jet in the past. Mine is 02 A16.

Good luck, let me know when it runs. line6 by the way are you a musician?
yeah i was able to test the bulb that both filaments work, but even after cleaning contacts, checking wiring and tightening the rear brake's spring i cant get either switch to illuminate the secondary filament. We will see what happens, I can't seem to be able to test the brake switch itself but I haven't sunk much time into it. Thanks for reaching out!

I was able to find replacement studs and extract the broken one so when they show up I will put the new one in, should be fine!

Also sadly no, Im not a musician, no amount of fiddling with guitars will make me one, but the wife is a music teacher and has a masters in classical vocal performance so I've been around a few!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.