Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum - View Single Post - Noob goes down in the woods
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 06-01-2019, 03:06 AM
Damocles
5th Gear

Glad you're now safe, gncdi!

As to SPOT; at an AMA/International event a couple of years ago, I went down HARD in Pennsylvania's Buchanan State Forest. While I was not alone, I could not ride as a consequence of my injuries; had water from a hydration pack (made a serviceable pillow, also, as I lay in the shade of a signboard, hoping the pain pill would kick in).

Anyhow, the Horizons Unlimited organizers had provided all riders with active SPOT units for the event; my companion sent a, "Non-life-threatening Injury" SPOT signal; within half an hour, a rescue pickup and trailer evacuated me and my bike from the woods, hauling me to the regional hospital in Cumberland, MD.

Now, I think I would definitely have survived the incident, under the circumstances in this case, WITHOUT a SPOT. But, my point: The SPOT system really works; a distressed motorcyclist, remotely alone, could owe his life to an active SPOT subscription.

So, how am I doing now? Fine; able to cause a little excitement from my partial shoulder replacement at airport security metal detectors!

Oh, yes: Bike was unharmed!

Thanks for sharing your experience, and lessons learned, gncdi!

“You better put down that gun. You got two ways to go, put it down or use it. Even if you tie me, you’re gonna be dead.” "John Russell" (Paul Newman), Hombre

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome