Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Oil Line.......

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  pdwestman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Oil comes into that line from the case at the banjo bolt beneath the starter motor and then...

#7 ·
The all aluminum crankcase of the liquid cooled KLR engine is One Giant Oil COOLER! It does NOT need any further oil cooling.

Tom Schmitz is actually trying to retain more Warmth into the KLR engine oil even in Southern California.

#8 ·
The preliminary result on the exercise to get more heat into the oil is that, short of riding in ambient temps that are above 100*F or installing a full-wrap of insulation around the entire engine, it's really hard to get the oil hotter. 200-210*F is about normal and about all it will do.

As Paul says, the KLR engine is a giant radiator. In the winter, when ambients can drop below 60*F, oil temperatures drop down below 200*F. If it is much below 50*F, especially if it is wet, the oil can run as low as 160*F.

I'm waiting for winter and, at this point, merely hoping that I can find a way to keep the oil temperature up to around 200*F when it might normally be running in the 175*F range.

At this point, I have failed miserably against my goal of getting the oil up to 225*F.

I fail a lot.

Reactions: pdwestman
#9 ·
When I first got my 03 I was scouring the internet for bootleg home-made oil coolers for this thing and I'm not sure why I was under the impression that it needed one in the first place. Maybe ill buy an oil filler cap with a temp gauge on it if im that worried about it.

One last question, where does the oil go after it passes through the cam?

#13 ·
One last question, where does the oil go after it passes through the cam?
The oil flows out the camshaft journal oil holes to lube the bearings, flows around the tappet buckets, lobes & bearing caps and down to the alternator case & crankcase thru the cam chain tunnel.

#10 · (Edited)
After passing through the cams and the transmission it simply falls back into the sump. From there it is sucked up by the pick-up tube...

(From I am Joe's Crankcase)

...and it goes through to the oil screen and into the oil pump where it starts its journey again.

Look at the oil temps on the is ride around town. See how long it takes to come up to operating temperature and note that, for a beach boy like me, it was friggin' hot out. It needs a heater rather than a cooler!

#11 ·
Thanks Tom appreciate the info. Seriously you guys are awesome, thanks for all your contributions to the the KLR community.

How important is it to clean that oil screen? Its not listed on the routine maintenance schedule to my knowledge, although I have seen people pull pieces of gasket out of theirs before.

#12 ·
I have never seen one that prevented the oil from flowing. Maybe @pdwestman has a larger perspective. My take would be that if you have reason to take the cover off, clean it. Otherwise, ride it.

Reactions: pdwestman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.