Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

About Klr 2008

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Hey what's up I have a 2008 KLR 650 n would like to know wat would be a good pipe to put on or the best pipe to change from stock thanks

#5 ·
Not much by the way of power in a Klr exhaust. It's not like a rocket that by putting a system on you crack open an extra 10 horses. I got a fmf q4. And I like it. Made the Klr sound less like an angry lawn mower and more like a dirtbike. The biggest thing with the exhaust is the weight savings and the look. If those are not important to you then you might be a candidate for the frugal exhaust mod. Or another cheap option would be to pick up a used stock dirtbike muffler. That's what my buddy did and sounds almost identical to mine for 1/4 the price.

#7 ·
I wouldnt say that it's the best. It's really personal preference. I went with the fmf. It's what I liked and went with that. I haven't heard anything bad about the supertrapp. Another good option by a good brand is the yoshi pipe. Most pipes for a Klr will provide similar sound and weight in a slightly different wrapper. Which is most appealing to you?

#8 · (Edited)
You might get past this without spending a bunch of money, I'll tell you how I handled the same problem. I went through this when I had to have everything. I was using gas mileage as my excuse, if you take a look at my signature line you will see that I have over 2000 dollars of mods / upgrades on my 06. I stopped short at the pipe!

The reason was simple, the pipe I was considering said I could up my mpg by 5. The bike gets 50 - 51 mpg stock.

The pipe was going to cost 370 with a jet kit included so I could fine tune for that extra mpg right......................

I did the math..................... I figured I had to be wrong so I contacted a buddy with a much more math orientated head than mine and gave him the data I was using to determine how many miles I would have to drive in order to recover my 370 dollar investment. I did not tell him what my own calculation with my hp 15-C had yielded.

He e-mailed his answer to me, it was the same as mine; 32,766.999999999 etc.

I still have the stock pipe on my 06. Chicks don't hang around me the way they do the guys with the Super Trap systems but I'm over it. If I wanted my bike to be loud I would get a Harley.

#10 ·
You will get minimal horsepower gains with an aftermarket pipe. Patman's KLR dyno page shows real world numbers.

If you really need more horsepower spend the money on a 685 kit. If you just want to change the sound of the OEM do the frugal exhaust mod

Louder is not better. Loud bikes negatively impact all riders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.