Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

National Championship Air Races Camping trip

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wrenrj1 
#1 · (Edited)
Reno Camping Trip-National Championship Air Races Camping trip

Hey all
Im thinking about camping out for the Reno Air Races.
I have access to some private property on the backside
of the course in the "Valley of Speed" where they come really low and fast.

Heres the website:

Thinking about Fri/Sat/Sun Sept 16th-18th.

Let me know if ya'll are interested so I can get the gate codes
and inform the property owner of the number of people.
It should be a nice party, several people camp out there every year.

Besides the Races, theres also some good BLM trail riding out there, the town of Reno
and the race venue proper which is always a blast if you like things with large engines that go fast and make noise.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that sounds great. I saw those air races in Watkins Colorado #7 Strega a red and white P-51 Mustang and Rare Bear. At the time I had a aircraft paint shop and got a ride in one of the Air Unlimited P-51's out of Van Nys Calf. More fun then a KLR if you can believe that. :animal0009: Just started a new job if I could make it I'd go. Have to check to see how many sick days I get....Hmmmmm

#4 ·
Good Evening Tracktoring,

Are you considering this trip for this year? If you are how many days would this be? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Snakeboy66

#5 ·
Hey

I didnt make it up to the race last year due to the horrific accident with the
P51 and crowd or people. It happened the day before we were going to leave and cancelled the rest of the event..

Sorta looks like the race will be on this year so depending on how things go around Sept I will update or make a new post..
We have a great spot for camping on private property located on the backside of the course.

Ironically, last year everyone kept asking me if I was nervous about camping
and spectating on backside of the course, as it turned out the aircraft that
crashed went straight into the VIP section in the main stands...

#6 ·
Good Morning Tracktorking,

My Dad and I went a couple of times. What a fantastic race, the sound of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines is soooo sweet. I like the idea of camping. Please keeps us posted.

Snakeboy66

#7 ·
I'll chime in with my personal connection, kinda long. My dad who's in his 70's was a volunteer for a few years at the air races, taking VIPs out to the pylons during the late 90's and early 2000's. He was a pilot and had flying and medical connections ironically. My brother and I attended with my dad in 2009 and had seats on the tarmack down about 100 yards from the impact site.

FF to 2011, my brother, who lives in Oregon went and had grandstand passes on the day the crash happened. Rewind to the year we all went (2009), there was a crash every day for the first three days with three fatalities before we attended the next day.

Back to 2011 and the crash. My brother was in the pits when the crash occurred. He estimated about 150 yards at least from the crash. His recollection was of a man coming from the crash with little clothes and doused in airplane fuel, it was surreal. He took a couple pics from the grandstands of the scene when they were allowed to get their stuff. I won't share them, but they are valuable to what I do in Mass Fatality Planning.

To add to the connection, several members/friends of my parent's church in Overland Park, KS were avid race fans and in attendance. Several of them lost lower limbs, as they were standing up when the crash occurred. (friends were a husband and wife), his father, and his mother was the last person identified as deceased, she was unable to stand up, as the others were when this happened.

Saying all of this, I would not hesitate to attend the Reno Air Races. It's all about risk assessment. Stuff happens, but It's an amazing experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.