Front end strong wobble!? Progressive shock issue!?
I've recently been experiencing strong wobble on my front end. Here's chronologically what's been happening;
1. As I was gearing for my long trip, bike was running fine
2. I've replaced stock rear shock for progressive 465 with rap, bike is still running fine without load
3. In first few days of my trip, bike is still running fine with all my gear on (about 120lbs total). I've adjusted preload with the knob that came with shock even though it seems bit tricky to find right spot. I'm also not sure if on these shocks, I only do adjustment on knob or I can do it on the actual spring on the shock if I need more play!? Another question about this shock for which I can't find an answer online is, when do I want to do rebound adjustor!?
4. After 3-4 days, I start experiencing front end wobble at about 65mph+. Front tire had some unusual wear on it and few slightly loose spokes so I replaced front tire, adjusted spokes and tru and balanced front wheel.
5. Again, bike was running fine without load on it. I've also played with psi, going up and down on both tires trying to find good setting. There was some wobble, but not too bad (it's KLR after all).
6. As soon as I load all my gear, wobble gets pretty bad even when I play with preload adjustment. I've checked front suspension, steering head bearing and everything else that might cause this - all looks good. I've also checked rear wheel, and it looks ok.
7. At this point my main suspect is rear shock. I have a lot of weight on the back which makes front end lift up. Does anyone have experience with progressive 465 with rap? I played with knob but as said before, not sure if I should play with shock spring and make locknut on it tighter? Will adjusting rebound setting help?
Right now I'm in Mexico and would like to get this sorted out asap before moving down south. I'm afraid if I keep on riding like this, I'll wear out brand new front time pretty fast. It can also be pretty dangerous at times.