Michelin T63 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Bike and Rider Gear For discussions on different gear for the ride & rider.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Michelin T63

I did a search for info on these tires but didn't find much. I've beeen looking for a tire that's a bit more agressive than the stock Dunlop K750's. These are almost at the same price point as the Shinko's and look fairly mean. I'd like to go to the TKC's but just really don't want to put out that kind of gettis for them. Anyone ran these tires to end of life? If so what type of riding and how many miles did they last. Any info or opinions appreciated.

Stephen
2009 KLR 650
2008 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

I have about 350 road miles on a pair and need to burn them up to see how many miles I can get out of a rear.

The $55 (each) price is excellent. They look very agressive compared to other tires, D606, TKC, etc. Not enough miles to tell the tale but...they track the grooves on concrete and the rear seems to not like raised edges like center lines but...like I said I don't have the miles for a credible review. More to come in the next 4,000-6,000 miles.

Oh, I would not have purchased the T63 if I did not think it was going to be a good tire.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
4th Gear

600 miles of asphalt. Mostly river levee roads with some urban and freeway.

Air pressures: 32F, 36R

In the beginning the air pressures were way too low and the KLR wobbled alot. Found the rear tire was 22 pounds. Reset the air pressures to 32F and 36R and it handled better.

These tire continue to remind me they are more for off-road than on-road. The front tire does not like grooved concrete and continually searches for another place to be. Not severe search though they are not an Avon Distanzia.

I have ridden one 25 mile section of river road three times with the same response from the last two rides. The roads are basically rough. The T63 rides this surface very well in a straight line as well as turns.

Yesterday I rode a different 35 mile section (70 mile total) of river road with most of it being a good surface and 10 miles being some of the worst patched surfaced I have ever ridden. The T63 did well on both surfaces.

One surprise was leaving the river road and netering a very nice smooth banked freeway on-ramp. The KLR started wandering a lot. It actually felt like a flat rear tire. The tire was not flat and had 33 pounds. Gotta go back and give that on-ramp another try with more air pressure.

So far I would asy these are a good tire though not what I would use for daily travel. I suspect these will be excellent off-road.

Speaking of off-road I might be in Death Valley next week. I am sure the KLR and tires are better off-road than I am.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode