Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dieppe NB Canada
Here is my experience with the KLR.
For your dollars and if your interest is dual sport, I believe the KLR is a very good choice.
- Very good on fuel you get close to 400km on a 20 liter tank.
- excellent on logging roads but a little big for small trail or extreme off road riding however it can be done.
- good wind protection on highways
- It has some mechanical issues but I seriously think all motorcycles has some.
( 97% of Harleys are still on the road and 3% made it home; they are $18000.00 and up)
- And most important alot of great forums and videos to get honest opinion and tips on a great motorcycle.
I could go on and on.....
I do not commute with it or done any long trips, but I did 500 km to Nova Scotia one day, I will not lie, I was a little saddle soar with the stock seat.
I use it primarily as a stress release and enjoy exploring dirt roads in this area.
I am going to do the doo hickey upgrade on mine soon. Beware of the 2008 to 2009 sn 00001 to approx. 21000 have an extra mod that as to be done.
One of the holes in the flywheel side cover is deeper than it should be.
Search for deep hole for idler starter gear you will find info on it.
It is an easy fix while doing the doo hickey.
Mine is SN 16528 so I will do the extra mod also.
That being said if you find a 2010 and up you should be ok on the deep hole.
Any more question just fire away I have researched this bike for about 1 year before buying. And I am very satisfied.
Hope this helps
Last edited by EVILAMOS; 05-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.