New Computer - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Gadgets & Gizmos Discussion on the latest "toys" to enhance the adventure.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
New Computer

A couple of days ago I rec'd a new computer to make travel easier.

Originally I wanted an iPad but the iPad 3 is not far from release so I decided to go with a mini PC. HP Pavilion dm1 (not a netbook), Windows 7, HDMI, Bluetooth, WiFi, external BluRay DVD, 11.6" display, 3.5 lbs, 8 true hours of battery life.
So far so good. Been setting it up and testing it at home. Soon I will be off to a coffee shop to test commercial wifi conditions where the mini will be used. I came with IE8 and W7 without updates. At first it was good then I added ALL the updates and IE8 really slowed down. Google Maps was very slow and I questioned this purchase. This morning I updated to IE9 and the commputer really perked up especially graphics. Google Maps is working very well. Browsing is fast. Without the IE9 upgrade I would have sent it back to HP.
Biggest problem is getting iTunes to work with my iPhone apps, music, podcasts, etc. But that is not a problem of this computer.

My other travel computer is a HP Pavilion dv-6, 16" display. I like it though it is too heavy and too large for my luggage and storage space. This computer is now my home computer.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Good choice I would say! I bought an iPad first gen when they dropped the prices (cause the new ones were coming out). Nice unit and all but I still find a laptop way handier. Windows 7 is an excellent OS as well, kind of a mix of the best stuff that XP and Vista had all rolled into one. I have a Linux based netbook that I bought for going on holidays a few years ago (eeepc). Much to my chagrin it doesn't play nice with my camera or most hotels wireless! Kinda defeats the purpose I bought it for...

650Stew is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Stew View Post
Good choice I would say! I bought an iPad first gen when they dropped the prices (cause the new ones were coming out). Nice unit and all but I still find a laptop way handier. Windows 7 is an excellent OS as well, kind of a mix of the best stuff that XP and Vista had all rolled into one. I have a Linux based netbook that I bought for going on holidays a few years ago (eeepc). Much to my chagrin it doesn't play nice with my camera or most hotels wireless! Kinda defeats the purpose I bought it for...
Stew, is that the ASUS EEE PC? I have never used Linux but have heard good things about both of them.

This is my second W7 and I like it. IE9 is more of a surprise thugh I believe it is a reaction to Chrome and some of the others.

Hoping that iPad 3 is 4G as well as iPhone 5. A SmartPhone is a good traveling partner.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Yup, it's the Asus. Good little machine but hard to type on because of it's very small keyboard. Boots up and down quick though, I like that! I bought the iPhone 3G about a month and a half before the 3Gs came out... I have a year left on my contract so I hope that there's a cool new phone out by then. After having a smart phone for a couple of years I'd be lost without it! I'm kind of addicted to the internet... My bad

650Stew is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
My personal travel computer is a Acer netbook..

Speaking of IE9, is there a fix for the terrible usage with Gmail? It's all wonky..
Paper is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Stew, is that the ASUS EEE PC? I have never used Linux but have heard good things about both of them.

This is my second W7 and I like it. IE9 is more of a surprise thugh I believe it is a reaction to Chrome and some of the others.

Hoping that iPad 3 is 4G as well as iPhone 5. A SmartPhone is a good traveling partner.

I quit using MS Windows several years ago and went to Ubuntu. I got fed up with auto updates and all the virus nonsense. I won't consider Apple after my experience with I-Tunes.

Ubuntu works great and it's free. Most all the software is free or shareware and I haven't had any problems replacing MS apps. Ubuntu is very user friendly, short learning curve from windows. It's well supported with regular releases and updates. No virus problems, no reporting back to the mother ship, no proprietary app syncing.

Really try it I'm betting you won't go back. Download it (here) you can boot from a USB or CD to try it before you install. You can set up a dual boot system and leave Windows on the machine but you won't use it much...

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Stew View Post
Yup, it's the Asus. Good little machine but hard to type on because of it's very small keyboard. Boots up and down quick though, I like that! I bought the iPhone 3G about a month and a half before the 3Gs came out... I have a year left on my contract so I hope that there's a cool new phone out by then. After having a smart phone for a couple of years I'd be lost without it! I'm kind of addicted to the internet... My bad
If you can find a problem with the 3G they will replace it with a 3GS. A friend did this without intent. Now he is good until later this year when the iPhone 5 is released. Battery needing to be charged too often is a good reason. He took it into an Apple store.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
If you can find a problem with the 3G they will replace it with a 3GS. A friend did this without intent. Now he is good until later this year when the iPhone 5 is released. Battery needing to be charged too often is a good reason. He took it into an Apple store.
I've had my 3G for two years already, my warranty is toast . It actually works fine though, I just miss the bells and whistles of the newer ones. Specifically the better camera! I'm hoping in a year or so they have the nextgen iPhone out and will see what that one can do.

650Stew is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I quit using MS Windows several years ago and went to Ubuntu. I got fed up with auto updates and all the virus nonsense. I won't consider Apple after my experience with I-Tunes.

Ubuntu works great and it's free. Most all the software is free or shareware and I haven't had any problems replacing MS apps. Ubuntu is very user friendly, short learning curve from windows. It's well supported with regular releases and updates. No virus problems, no reporting back to the mother ship, no proprietary app syncing.

Really try it I'm betting you won't go back. Download it (here) you can boot from a USB or CD to try it before you install. You can set up a dual boot system and leave Windows on the machine but you won't use it much...
Thanks for the information on Ubuntu. I might try it when I will be closer to home. What are the true minimum requirements for a computer that runs Unbuntu?

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I quit using MS Windows several years ago and went to Ubuntu. I got fed up with auto updates and all the virus nonsense. I won't consider Apple after my experience with I-Tunes.

Ubuntu works great and it's free. Most all the software is free or shareware and I haven't had any problems replacing MS apps. Ubuntu is very user friendly, short learning curve from windows. It's well supported with regular releases and updates. No virus problems, no reporting back to the mother ship, no proprietary app syncing.

Really try it I'm betting you won't go back. Download it (here) you can boot from a USB or CD to try it before you install. You can set up a dual boot system and leave Windows on the machine but you won't use it much...
I used Ubuntu for years but ended up going back to Windows. I was dual booting it on my gaming rig (homebuilt) and was really impressed with it. I couldn't ditch XP though because I had quite a few games that were Windows native and they didn't perform well under Wine. I was going to try Cedega but didn't want to pay the monthly membership. I don't game much (at all?) anymore but my son does now so I replaced my old gaming rig with a big honking i7 unit with Windows 7. I love it!

I did have one very bad experience with Ubuntu though. I tried to install it on my Acer laptop. I didn't know at the time that the cooling fans were operated by the OS on this particular model and not by the system bios as is usual. Came very close to frying it. It even smelt funny! I finally after much effort managed to straighten it out and restore the Vista install. Wasn't much fun though cause it kept overheating and shutting down. I later found out that there is a hacked bios that I could have installed to rectify the problem, but at the risk of bricking a perfectly good laptop I opted to keep it Windows. That was the last time I tried it, been a member of Ubuntuforums.org for years but I haven't been on since around the time I almost toasted this thing.

I have to say though that I really like the principles behind the open source OS's and I really enjoyed Ubuntu. It was clean, fast, and a lot better at detecting hardware than it was when I first started using it... Back in the old days when you had to compile your own wireless drivers and use custom kernels. I would encourage anyone to try it, but it's a good idea to do some googling on system compatibility before you install it. Especially if your trying it on an old Acer laptop!

650Stew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cingular 8125 Cellphone/Computer klr650 Gadgets & Gizmos 2 11-15-2006 03:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome