Would anyone buy this?? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Gadgets & Gizmos Discussion on the latest "toys" to enhance the adventure.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
eric70412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uniontown PA
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to eric70412
Would anyone buy this??

Im thinking about buying this for my 2000 KLR to haul on my 2001 4 runner. (Clik link below)

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

How would I know how much my bike weighs?

Has anyone ever bought anything like this for their KLR and do they like it?

Thanks,

Eric
eric70412 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,440
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
The best carrier of have seen to handle the weight of a KLR had 2 receiver mounts versus one. They conveniently show a KLR being loaded. The older model is just slightly over 400# and the new model is even heavier. Also depends on what extras you've installed to make it heavier yet.

Myself when I come up behind such a setup on the highway I pass as soon as possible.

.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,160
I have a similar carrier; works o.k.; getting the bike loaded sometimes poses a challenge. A friendly earth berm or curb may be welcome at load-up time.

Usually, I ramp the bike up into the pickup bed.
Damocles is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,440
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
After reading some of the reviews it seems some brainiacs are using this to haul 500# bikes so maybe you are okay.

One reviewer said he put is 250# Mother and 275# sister on the rack and drove around with them sitting on it. They didn't break it so I guess he figured it was good for the bike.

Most reviews indicate it's a two man job getting the heavier bikes on it.

.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,314
I had one I used to haul similar-size bikes: A Suzuki SP600 and a Honda XR650, both of which are a little lighter than a KLR. I had it on the back of a 1/2-ton Dodge pickup.

My advice? Think twice before you buy and use. I don't think your 4-Runner's suspension will take kindly to it. The back of my pickup squatted down so much I had to go get an extra leaf spring put in so my headlights wouldn't be pointed way high when carrying one of the bikes.

No matter what the weight limit proclaimed on the carrier or stated tongue weight for your vehicle/receiver you have to remember that it will sit well behind the bumper and very far behind the rear axle. Any kind of bump you go over will magnify the effects of a 400+ pound bike bouncing up and down. Hit a big enough bump and that 400 pounds could basically become 800 when it bottoms out and starts going back up. You don't really get that effect with a trailer.

I had mine modified with a couple of extra brackets to keep it from rocking on its center pivot and whenever I hauled my bikes on it, I wrapped a big log chain through the frame of the bike and the carrier and around one of the frame beams of the pickup so if it ever ripped loose it wouldn't just remain in the middle of the highway for another vehicle to hit.

It worked. I hauled those bikes thousands of miles but I also spent an inordinate amount of time with my eyes on my left side mirror watching them bounce and jiggle around and wondering if something bad was going to happen.



planalp is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,440
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
eric70412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uniontown PA
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to eric70412
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
The best carrier of have seen to handle the weight of a KLR had 2 receiver mounts versus one. They conveniently show a KLR being loaded. The older model is just slightly over 400# and the new model is even heavier. Also depends on what extras you've installed to make it heavier yet.

Myself when I come up behind such a setup on the highway I pass as soon as possible.

.

.[/QUOTE]

I know!! That bike on there is identical to mine lol. I kinda always wanted to get one but was really unsure because the thought of that heavy bike on the back like that would probably be swaying all over the place since it sticks out so far like that and only that center receiver and no braces to keep it from swaying. Then I saw their ad with my excact KLR on it and was like wow that might be for me since it has my bike on it lol...

I know what you mean! I had an suv pass me on the highway b4 with one of those on it and was hauling a crotch rocket. I kinda felt the same way as you did with the way it looked on there and kinda sagging like that!! He was going pretty fast down the highway and hit a dip and that whole thing was a bouncing and made me a lil nervous.. lol
eric70412 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
eric70412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uniontown PA
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to eric70412
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
After reading some of the reviews it seems some brainiacs are using this to haul 500# bikes so maybe you are okay.

One reviewer said he put is 250# Mother and 275# sister on the rack and drove around with them sitting on it. They didn't break it so I guess he figured it was good for the bike.

Most reviews indicate it's a two man job getting the heavier bikes on it.

.
Yeah I saw that review also lol.. I was like ooooo k yeah what if it didnt hold them!!
eric70412 is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
eric70412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uniontown PA
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to eric70412
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
I had one I used to haul similar-size bikes: A Suzuki SP600 and a Honda XR650, both of which are a little lighter than a KLR. I had it on the back of a 1/2-ton Dodge pickup.

My advice? Think twice before you buy and use. I don't think your 4-Runner's suspension will take kindly to it. The back of my pickup squatted down so much I had to go get an extra leaf spring put in so my headlights wouldn't be pointed way high when carrying one of the bikes.

No matter what the weight limit proclaimed on the carrier or stated tongue weight for your vehicle/receiver you have to remember that it will sit well behind the bumper and very far behind the rear axle. Any kind of bump you go over will magnify the effects of a 400+ pound bike bouncing up and down. Hit a big enough bump and that 400 pounds could basically become 800 when it bottoms out and starts going back up. You don't really get that effect with a trailer.

I had mine modified with a couple of extra brackets to keep it from rocking on its center pivot and whenever I hauled my bikes on it, I wrapped a big log chain through the frame of the bike and the carrier and around one of the frame beams of the pickup so if it ever ripped loose it wouldn't just remain in the middle of the highway for another vehicle to hit.

It worked. I hauled those bikes thousands of miles but I also spent an inordinate amount of time with my eyes on my left side mirror watching them bounce and jiggle around and wondering if something bad was going to happen.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah if your Dodge squatted down in the back that much I know my 4 Runner will also and probably a lot more. My 4 Runner is already sagging a lil bit in the back without the weight. It just seemed like a pretty decent deal. Im gonna have to do a lil more research and read more of the reviews. Maybe look at some of the other brands out there as well..
eric70412 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
eric70412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Uniontown PA
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to eric70412
Thanks for all the advice guys! Gonna do some more research on this and read more of the reviews. This might not be for me. I really dont think I would be hauling it that much. I do have a small pick up truck (Toyota Tacoma) also that I could just throw it in the back of if need be, but it is kinda just a work truck and I dont think I wanna be taking any long trips in it. Plus I kinda thought it might be easier to load onto that rack rather than to ramp it up into the back of the truck. I dont have much experience in hauling them and never had this bike in the back of mine. I should try it sometime though!!
eric70412 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy or not to buy 2004 KLR 650 rockman 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 7 07-14-2013 03:06 PM
why should i buy mojo KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 5 05-19-2013 01:24 AM
Would You Buy This Or Not? planalp 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 19 02-26-2012 11:32 AM
Should I buy it? ScottyBoy KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 12 05-03-2011 05:30 PM
Someone buy me one...please?!?! Lockjaw The Off Topic Lounge 2 04-28-2010 04:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome