I mounted my GPS for cheap.
Sorry for not having pictures but I can't find the card for my digital camera.
Here is how I did it.
1. Went to Target and got one of those little kids bells (about $5). The kind that you mount on a kid's bike and you use your thumb to make it go 'ring ring'.
2. I took the internals out of the kiddies bell except for the metal post. The 3 main remaining parts are the two plastic parts that attach to the handle bar (with the metal post) and the metal bell. The metal bell slides off the metal post.
3. Mount the two pastic parts to your KLR handle bar. I mounted on the left side between the left post that attaches the handle bar and the curve in the handle bar itself.
4. The garmin nuvi comes with a round rubber base. I put the metal bell (part of the kid's bike bell) and held it flush against the rubber base of the nuvi mount. I then drilled two holes and bolted them together.
5. The garmin with the metal base now just sides on the metal post.
It looks cool. It is solid. In the rain I'll slide a plastic bag over it if I need to. It is also portable, just slide it off the metal post or unclip the nuvi.
I did the wiring with a 10 amp fuse in the red wire. At the front of the handle bars is a cigarette style hole. The cigarette wire harness was cheap too.......about $5.
Time from start to finish was about an hour. About 1/2 of that was figuring out the best way to mount it.