Well, I'm all for recycling. Especially when it means I get free stuff to bolt to my KLR.
The same interesting customer that the Storm case was originally destined for also takes a small bag from us, for keeping cables in. Unfortunately one of these bags had a broken zipper tag/handle. Save throwing it out, I thought it might make a good tool holder for the front mudguard.
So, here's the case (cable tie now in place of zipper tag, so I can open and close it)
Cut some aluminium plate to fit in to the bottom of the bag. This'll keep the bag strong and stop the fixing bolts pulling through. Drilled it and bolted it to the mudguard with some stainless nuts and bolts.
I think it looks pretty good. In there's a couple of screwdrivers, a 1/4" drive with a range of sockets, an allen key set, some self-amalgamating tape, a pair of pliers, a pair of side cutters, some cable ties and a full size hacksaw blade.
I also replaced all the rubbish OE panel retaining screws. They appear to be made of a mixture of fairy-dust and plasticine, so I've swapped them out for some nice allen head stainless jobs with large washers.
On the rear panels, I swapped the retaining screws for some eye bolts. This'll give me more options when I need to lash things down. I used some expanding rawlbolts and just removed the outers. They were about £3.50 for a pack of 10, so I didn't mind taking them apart!
On the left is the OE screw, then the bolt (with a couple of nuts locking it off at the right depth) and then what the bolt originally looked like.
And this is it in situ