The bead on my rear tire is extremely hard to break loose for some reason. I had real concerns about being able to do a field flat repair.
I saw Cyb's tubeliss conversion page on Smugmug. It looked reasonable so thought I would give it a go!
Just to make my case... I've tried various methods to break the bead. Tires irons eventually work but it takes many trips around the wheel and lots of force not something I want to rely on.
Hah my tire laughs at my puny C-Clamp
Even a bench vise doesn't break the bead without yanking the tire back and forth:
Ah finally after much wrestling and windex and I still have to flip the wheel and break the other side!
I know what you're thinking the rim must be gunked up or something tires shouldn't be that difficult well here's what the rim looked like:
So yea I don't know what the deal is but anyway. I used a wire wheel on a drill motor and cleaned up the rim. Spent a good amount of time cleaning around the spoke nipples. They had some rust/corrosion not too bad but I believe in good prep = good results.
I couldn't find a syringe like Cyb used for the Seal All so used a nozzle I had laying around
This is after 2 applications of the Seal All. The small bubbles formed during drying. I was carefull not to cause any bubbles when applying.
I had to order the valve stem from Napa it was the only one I could find that fit the rim without enlarging the hole, just in case this didn't work out and I had to put a tube back in. I used the household variety of Goop. Here's what it looked like after application:
on to part 2...