tension balancer 2001 klr 650 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
How To's & Tech Guides Post your mod how to's and tech guides here. Topics will be locked only to allow editing by original author.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-30-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
tension balancer 2001 klr 650

Hello out there, anyone can anyone help me? I discovered there is no mounting pin for the oil filter. I put the filter in as I found it without this pin. I ran the engine to move the oil around before topping it up to max level. It sounded o.k but had been getting a little rattly over 9 months driving so I tried to do the adjustment on the tension balancer. Starting the engine after this f... up, it was a whole lot more rattly. I turned the ignition off pronto and am now at a loss of what to do (apart from ordering a mounting pin for the filter of course) do I have to take off the whole side of the engine and could it be the spring has fallen off inside. Ahhhh! I love my KLR and you guys and girls too. Muchisimas gracias from La Gomera, Las Canarias, EspaŮa xx
Rikkitikki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,608
Rikkitikki,
Do not start your engine again!
Only after you remove the L.H. engine cover and confirm and replace what You/I suspect is a Broken Doo-Hickey.

I suspect the Doo was broken and when you loosened the lock bolt the broken pieces fell out of place.

I've been dreading the day that I hear/feel that same 'increase' in vibration from a customers bike!
Glad that you were aware enough to catch it.

I assume the oil filter bypass pin is already on your to 'be ordered' list. And I'll recommend the Genuine EagleMike Doo-Hickey and Torsion Spring.
willys likes this.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting

Last edited by pdwestman; 01-30-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
pdwestman is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,608
Lordy, lordy, lordy,
When things are this 'quiet' on the KLR internet sites, I am certain that the Whole Country is in TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!
I am basicly broke. How about you???

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
I'm about as broke as the doo doo in the crankhouse. Spare parts take for ever to arrive here and there isn't a good bike mechanic on the whole island.
Rikkitikki is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-01-2016, 12:31 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Well the first place to start is confirming what is wrong.That means draining the oil and removing the side cover to have a look. I am thinking perhaps just the spring is broken allowing the chain to go slack when you loosened the bolt. I don't think it is possible for the spring to "fall off" unless it is broken. You may be able to reuse the gasket if you are careful when taking the side cover off.
The biggest issue isn't the cost of the parts. It is the tools you need to remove the flywheel.

One guy fished his broken spring out, tensioned the doohickey with his finger and tightened the lock bolt. Once the doohickey is locked down the spring doesn't do anything anyway.This got him going till parts and tools were available.
Regards....justjeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-02-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Thanks folks !
Rikkitikki is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM
4th Gear
 
GoMotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
Well the first place to start is confirming what is wrong.That means draining the oil and removing the side cover to have a look. I am thinking perhaps just the spring is broken allowing the chain to go slack when you loosened the bolt. I don't think it is possible for the spring to "fall off" unless it is broken. You may be able to reuse the gasket if you are careful when taking the side cover off.
The biggest issue isn't the cost.......................
You can use justjeff's idea without draining the oil. Just lay the bike over on its side. With the left side cover off you can see part of the doohickey. Loosen the doohickey adjusting bolt and push the visible end of the doohickey to the right (counter clockwise). If it springs back when you release it, the spring is not broken. If the spring is broken, you will need to get the broken parts out.

Then push the doohickey to the left. If it moves much past the point the spring pulls it to, the spring may not have any pull range left, but you can push it to the left and tighten the adjuster bolt. This will snug the balancer chain up and should be good for 5 or 10 thousand miles as long as you don't loosen the adjuster bolt and let the chain go slack again.
willys and Rikkitikki like this.
GoMotor is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Rikkitikki,
Do not start your engine again!
Only after you remove the L.H. engine cover and confirm and replace what You/I suspect is a Broken Doo-Hickey.

I suspect the Doo was broken and when you loosened the lock bolt the broken pieces fell out of place.

.
Excellent advise as always. :-)

.....in fact, I go so far as to advise Gen1 owners NOT to attempt a doohickey adjustment without ensuring that the spring is intact and has tension and the doohickey lever is in one pce.
Attempting to adjust a broken doohickey is WAY worse than not adjusting it at all.


Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
You can use justjeff's idea without draining the oil. Just lay the bike over on its side. With the left side cover off you can see part of the doohickey. Loosen the doohickey adjusting bolt and push the visible end of the doohickey to the right (counter clockwise). If it springs back when you release it, the spring is not broken. If the spring is broken, you will need to get the broken parts out.

Then push the doohickey to the left. If it moves much past the point the spring pulls it to, the spring may not have any pull range left, but you can push it to the left and tighten the adjuster bolt. This will snug the balancer chain up and should be good for 5 or 10 thousand miles as long as you don't loosen the adjuster bolt and let the chain go slack again.
Yep; the spring is just to make adjusting easier, it isn't strictly required....


Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,386
Here's hoping we hear, "The rest of the story," as a famous radio commentator once often said!

The suspense remains palpable; hope it has a happy ending!

Damocles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 KLR 650 Balancer Chain Tensioner Question/Help rcm_other 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 4 05-16-2013 01:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome