The Rekluse RadiusX for the KLR650 comes with enough stuff to install it either in a '96 to '11˝ clutch or in an '11˝ to 2018 clutch.
They offer nothing, no clue, no ray of hope, no branch to cling to, for the 'pre '96 clutch.
This is what comes in the package:
Clockwise, from the top: nine TorqDrive fiber/friction discs, the EXP centrifugal dingus, one OEM pre '11˝ steel, eight Rekluse steels. In the center are basket clips that go into the slots to accommodate the TorqDrive fibers with a smaller tab and, presumably, to take care of any issues with indentations in the clutch basket. Not pictured are some tuning springs for the EXP to increase the lock-up RPM.
The Rekluse fibers and steels are really thin compared to OEM. With a '96 to '11˝ clutch, it will have 10 fibers and 9 steels (the EXP dingus counts as a fiber) so it's pretty dang robust.
The problem with fitting the Reckluse to the pre '96 clutch is that you can't replicate the OEM 7 fibers/6 steels stack height very well with the thin Rekluse discs. The stack will come out either too thick or too thin and by enough to give the clutch lever fits and make getting the right amount of clutch pre-load a problem.
What I had on hand to do a mix 'n match in an attempt to replicate the OEM stack height was a whole bunch of OEM steels and fibers from every clutch that has ever been on a KLR, from '84 to '18. Doesn't that sound impressive, like the Shed of Horrors is just chock full of good shit? Eh, there were only two different steels and one fiber, at least as far as dimensions go. Don't be impressed. I'm just a pack rat.
The OEM stack height on the 'pre '96 clutch is 1.294". I built a spreadsheet to work up recipes. I figured that if I could hit the stack height +/-.010" that would be good enough. What I wanted to avoid, though, was using OEM fibers. To use them I would have to trim a dozen tabs on each disc I used, a tedious chore at best and not easy to do accurately over and over. As well as not using OEM fibers, I wanted to maximize the number of fibers/steels in the clutch.
Here's where I am right now; I got the stack height and managed an 8 fiber/7 steel pack. This also shows a few of the more promising recipes but none with OEM fibers:
Sometime this week, instead of taking the '09 back to the stone age with '84 ignition and a hybrid Gen 1/KLR600 charging (or doing any sort of real work), I'll get this clutch in and see if it works.