Happy to be a new member - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Introductions Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
passedoutwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 15
Happy to be a new member

Hi all,

New to bikes and the forum. I've been lurking for awhile now and I just have to say that I am extremely pleasantly surprised at the civility with which the members of this forum treat each other. I am used to the normal shenanigans that pervade most forums and expected this place to be full of the same better than thou attitude. I'm so glad that this place seems relatively free of that stuff!

Anyway, I got a 2008 650 about a month ago and have been loving every minute of it. It's has been so long since I have gone for a ride just for the sake of riding, but I find myself looking for excuses to hop on the bike and cruise nowadays. I'm definitely hooked.

I am really happy with the setup that I have right now, but I am thinking of changing the front sprocket to a 17 spoke to reduce my rpm's at high speed. I live in the country so most roads I frequent are 55-65mph areas. Anyone have any input on that idea?
passedoutwookie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
Welcome to the forum...
You will fine a great group of riders here; honest and respectful is all I have found here...

I have an '08 as well but I went with a 16T for the front and 42T (original: 43) on the rear to help with my commutes. I thought of a 17T for the front but it would be a very tight sweeze. Runs very smooth...

Ride Safe
fradsham is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
passedoutwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 15
Thanks for the welcome and the input. I was thinking of the 16 tooth, but wrote 17 for some reason. I have not read much about a 16T, 42T combo. What're your rpm's at 65 mph? Do you feel like you lost any first gear acceleration?
passedoutwookie is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
It is < 5000rpm
fradsham is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedoutwookie View Post
Hi all,

New to bikes and the forum. I've been lurking for awhile now and I just have to say that I am extremely pleasantly surprised at the civility with which the members of this forum treat each other. I am used to the normal shenanigans that pervade most forums and expected this place to be full of the same better than thou attitude. I'm so glad that this place seems relatively free of that stuff!

Anyway, I got a 2008 650 about a month ago and have been loving every minute of it. It's has been so long since I have gone for a ride just for the sake of riding, but I find myself looking for excuses to hop on the bike and cruise nowadays. I'm definitely hooked.

I am really happy with the setup that I have right now, but I am thinking of changing the front sprocket to a 17 spoke to reduce my rpm's at high speed. I live in the country so most roads I frequent are 55-65mph areas. Anyone have any input on that idea?

Welcome!

15 tooth is stock. A 16 reduces RPMs about 400 @ 60 mph. A 17 won't fit without trimming the guard.

I've got a 16 on my 08 and commute at 60-65. The motor is in a sweet spot at those speeds, not straining and has good roll on power.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
Being of the large frame size 6'4" and 290lbs, I never looked at fast starts on whatever I ride, body cannot take the g-force but I can still easily move ahead of the cages during the commute.
fradsham is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
passedoutwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 15
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll probably go with the 16T and see how it feels. If I think it could still stand some improvement I'll think more about the 42T.
passedoutwookie is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedoutwookie View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll probably go with the 16T and see how it feels. If I think it could still stand some improvement I'll think more about the 42T.


Stock rear is 43. You won't notice much difference dropping 1 tooth (IMHO). Generally 1 tooth in the front is worth about 3 on the back.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Stock rear is 43. You won't notice much difference dropping 1 tooth (IMHO). Generally 1 tooth in the front is worth about 3 on the back.
I dropped one in the rear when it came time for a chain change...would have went for a 41t but they are harder to find.
fradsham is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
4th Gear
 
Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,205
Garage
Welcome aboard!

Kawasaki KLR650 - Adventure Lite
Tagged KTM250XCF-W - Rocket
Tagged KLX300 - Trail Tractor
'84 XR250R - Retro Ride
RMZ250 - Dirty
CRF80 - Kids
CRF70 - Kids
Savage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Halloween!!! Lockjaw The Off Topic Lounge 8 10-31-2011 02:22 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! Paper The Off Topic Lounge 3 11-25-2010 10:45 PM
Happy New Year DXKLR The Off Topic Lounge 4 01-02-2008 01:20 PM
Happy Holidays from us! Mark B (4) The Off Topic Lounge 6 12-23-2007 08:10 AM
Happy klrmike The Off Topic Lounge 4 01-29-2007 02:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome