Ebay is a harsh mistress..
Hi all, just signed up from Birmingham (UK)
Never ridden a trail / dual-sport bike before but fancied a bit of a change and had been looking for a KLR650 for a while, got tempted in by an auction last week but I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I've bought and wondering if anyone can help pick the bits out of this!
I've uploaded some photos to an Imgur photo sharing album here: imgur.com/a/sdPsQ#0 if anyone has some time to look through?
What I know is that the v5/logbook lists it as a KLR650A1 registered in February 1988, the frame and engine numbers match to the logbook and the frame number starts with "KLR650..."
I can tell that the fairings and tank are from a klr600 with an aftermarket front mudguard but there are a few things that seem odd to me:
- the water system, it has two radiators with an electric fan on the right-hand side, I was expecting a coolant bottle on the right with the fan on the left?
- the frame has the single bolt hole for the klr600 tank
- the rear sub-frame is made out of square section tube (klr600?)
- there appears to be an extra loop in the water system, from a round stainless steel block fitted over the thermostat housing the pipe looks back through the clear bubble then goes into the water pump housing as a small bore pipe in between the two main water pipes?
- it's running a moto style 17inch front wheel with a larger than standard disc and a twin-pot caliper that the PO said he thought was off a zx600
I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest and with a bit of luck I might be able to get it through an MOT if i can re-seal the leaky 600 fuel tank and shell out for some new tyres.
Longer term I was hoping to fit a 6Gallon IMS tank which is what started the confusion, all the youtube vids and pictures I've seen of early klr650s have the tank mounting with two bolts at the back.. are these bolt holes on the rear subframe? if so could i replace the subframe with a later one to fit the big tank? and would that mean replacing the fairings with 650 ones to fit?
sorry for dumping this all into a 1st post, I'm just massively confused right now!