Northern Utah w/ a 2012 KLR... - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Introductions Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
acidman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 901
Northern Utah w/ a 2012 KLR...

Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?



Greetings! Picked up a new 2012 last month in Delta Utah (best price I could find within 100 miles), and now I'm trying to pick up tips and tricks - and farkles - which I can utilize with the new toy.

I grew up on enduros (now called "dual-sport" bikes), starting off on a '71 Suzuki 90 that my Dad bought to ride to work in San Bernardino, then moved up to a '75 Suzuki TC-185 he bought after we moved into the Owens Valley (on the eastern edge of California, about 260 miles north of L.A.), and finally my Dad's '73 Honda CB350...

Delivered newspapers on the 185 for years - winter or summer, it didn't matter. Wrecked once on that bike when I hit ice going around a corner (it was 19 degrees that morning). Dinged up the 350 years later when I clipped an ancient Dodge Dart that had been parked in a place that had never had a vehicle in it... Twisted the forks a bit, and took the right mirror off with my chest. But those were the only two mishaps while delivering the newspapers.

Had a street bike for the last five years, mainly to commute to work on, but I always wanted to get back to the dual sport type - especially considering I live in Tooele County where there are about 5,000 miles of dirt roads and trails to explore... So last month, I asked "The Boss" if it was okay - and she said yes.

So now, I'm the owner of a new, dusty, 2012 KLR, and I'm loving the bike.


Last edited by acidman1968; 10-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.
acidman1968 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pefferlaw,Ontario
Posts: 1,636
Welcome to the site......just one thing.....it's a KLR.....not a KL...just saying.....damn man....get your facts straight won't ya....lol.

It's a great site with many knowledgeable folks here who will bend over backwards to try and help from what I have found......sit back grab a beverage and enjoy.....

Willys
willys is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
acidman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Welcome to the site......just one thing.....it's a KLR.....not a KL...just saying.....damn man....get your facts straight won't ya....lol.

It's a great site with many knowledgeable folks here who will bend over backwards to try and help from what I have found......sit back grab a beverage and enjoy.....
Thanks for the welcome, Willys - and I corrected my screwup above.


As it is, there are two or three mods / farkles I'm looking at doing before too much longer. One is the Sargent Low-Profile seat, another is the Thermo-Bob, and I'd like to wire up a couple power outlets so I can power up my GPS...

...which means I'll also be needing a GPS mount.

I'm sure the list will be growing over the winter.
acidman1968 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pefferlaw,Ontario
Posts: 1,636
Yeh...no problems....is the seat a dished style seat or just a lower level firmer seat, if the latter that is best from what many many have found out after buying a dished style seat as you tend to slide into the tank and IF you have jewels in front they will get crushed very quickly. As for the thermobob...I don't like it personally and see no need for it unless you ride in cooler climates, by many do love it and demand it..There is another manufacturer of the same type of system which makes a much more compact unit which actually just bolts onto the stock thermostat housing location and offers if I'm not mistaken a wider choice of therostats to use depending upon your riding climate etc...I'll try and source it and put it up for you to see......lastly the GPS...I run a cheapman's motorcycle friendly Garmin Nuvi 255. It's waterproof and motorcycle friendly meaning it will stand the vibrations we force onto it. The automobile versions won't....ask me how I know! As for the mount, Ram mounts are the best way to go.....up here we use GPScity for both the GPS and the RAM mounting system. I personally have my GPS set at a hieght where it is easily seen within my field of view, not where I have to look way down to see it all the time. So think of the length of the mount when purchasing it, if you want to have the same ease of view.

Hope this helps.....

You can see it in the complete kit....but I know you can buy just the remote unit somewhere and not have to buy the hoses etc as a package...
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html

Willys

Last edited by willys; 10-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
willys is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
acidman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Yeh...no problems....is the seat a dished style seat or just a lower level firmer seat, if the latter that is best from what many many have found out after buying a dished style seat as you tend to slide into the tank and IF you have jewels in front they will get crushed very quickly. As for the thermobob...I don't like it personally and see no need for it unless you ride in cooler climates, by many do love it and demand it..There is another manufacturer of the same type of system which makes a much more compact unit which actually just bolts onto the stock thermostat housing location and offers if I'm not mistaken a wider choice of therostats to use depending upon your riding climate etc...I'll try and source it and put it up for you to see......lastly the GPS...I run a cheapman's motorcycle friendly Garmin Nuvi 255. It's waterproof and motorcycle friendly meaning it will stand the vibrations we force onto it. The automobile versions won't....ask me how I know! As for the mount, Ram mounts are the best way to go.....up here we use GPScity for both the GPS and the RAM mounting system. I personally have my GPS set at a hieght where it is easily seen within my field of view, not where I have to look way down to see it all the time. So think of the length of the mount when purchasing it, if you want to have the same ease of view.

Hope this helps.....

You can see it in the complete kit....but I know you can buy just the remote unit somewhere and not have to buy the hoses etc as a package...
I'm looking at the lower profile seat mainly to get my feet a little more firmly on the ground just to feel a little more "secure" - especially on rough ground, of which there is plenty nearby where I live.

On the Thermo-Bob, I'd kinda like something that helps the engine to run a little more "even" on temperature, and with the different reading I've done, it sounds like that makes a difference on performance and even longevity of the engine. --- And thanks for the link! I'll be checking that site out and reading up on their version.

For the GPS, I'm running with a Garmin 450 that I picked up for geocaching. It seems to be built for abuse, being as it's mainly for hiking and such. And so far, it's held up to me... So I'll have to see if RAM mounts has one for that particular unit.

Then of course, I'll have to figure out the electrical outlet mod so I have a place to plug it in while I'm on the bike.
acidman1968 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,486
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
Welcome to the site.

on Geocaching.

RAM should make a mount for your 450. I use a 60CX on the KLR and for geocaching.

rammount.com has a excellent wizard for getting all the parts for your particular GPS and bike.

If you can buy a GPS cable that you can hard wire into the bike I would go that way. I use the cigarette plug set up and have found that the plug looses its connection when you are riding on any bouncy stuff.

I have a Thermo-bob and wouldn't be without it. I ride in temperatures near freezing and the engine runs nice and warm. Before the Thermo-bob the gauge hardly moved when it was that cool.

Where approx. in Utah are you?? I suppose Moab is on your to do list. I hope to get to Utah some day on my Goldwing but I have a hard time with heat so it has to be early in the year.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Geocaching is always fun!
DudeMang is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
acidman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
Welcome to the site.

on Geocaching.

RAM should make a mount for your 450. I use a 60CX on the KLR and for geocaching.

rammount.com has a excellent wizard for getting all the parts for your particular GPS and bike.

If you can buy a GPS cable that you can hard wire into the bike I would go that way. I use the cigarette plug set up and have found that the plug looses its connection when you are riding on any bouncy stuff.

I have a Thermo-bob and wouldn't be without it. I ride in temperatures near freezing and the engine runs nice and warm. Before the Thermo-bob the gauge hardly moved when it was that cool.

Where approx. in Utah are you?? I suppose Moab is on your to do list. I hope to get to Utah some day on my Goldwing but I have a hard time with heat so it has to be early in the year.
I'll have to figure out how to do the hard-wire connection, because a lot of the places I'd be riding are definitely on the rough side. Lots and lots of rough places.

I'm about 35 miles southwest of Salt Lake City - with a mountain range (The Oquirrh Mountains) between the Salt Lake Valley and Tooele Valley. It's rather nice, because if I really need to go into the Salt Lake Metro Area, I can be there in about 40 minutes - but if I want to hit the dirt roads and get away from people, I can be there in less than 10 minutes.

As for Moab, the wife and I hauled our trailer there last spring and met up with my folks for about a week. It was around Spring Break, so it was quite busy, but we had a great time seeing Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park (the part right near Moab, as well as the part down to the south), and Dead Horse Point State Park. We also hit up Fisher Towers - the tallest free-standing sandstone towers in the world - and areas along the Colorado River. After that, we drove a bit farther to the south and stayed in Bluff, UT where we were able to go out to Hovenweep National Monument - which was awesomely interesting if you're interested in Native American History. The ruins in that area are around 800 years old... That's also a prime area for KLR folks, because the roads to some of the areas are rocky, bumpy, dirt roads that require a high-clearance vehicle. And while we were in the vicinity, we also hit up Monument Valley, Goosenecks of the San Juan River State Park, and Natural Bridges National Monument...

It was a great Spring Break.

That was with our old camp trailer and before I purchased the KLR. Now I've gotta figure out how to take the KLR along with Momma's new 5th wheel hitched to the truck.
acidman1968 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,486
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidman1968 View Post
I'll have to figure out how to do the hard-wire connection, because a lot of the places I'd be riding are definitely on the rough side. Lots and lots of rough places.
Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-Bare-Wire...-/120805415671

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
acidman1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
Just placed the order (to go with my Ram Mount order I placed a couple days ago)...

Thanks for the link!!!
acidman1968 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northern Utah Tech Day OCT 8 cyoung Upcoming Tech Days & Group Rides 0 09-22-2011 10:40 AM
Zion, utah! screaminsal You've been spotted 0 06-13-2011 12:54 PM
FNG near St George, Utah UtaHooligan Introductions 3 03-28-2011 09:46 AM
JUNE Northern Utah Tech Day cyoung Western Riders 27 02-15-2011 03:26 PM
Sandy, Utah SandyKLR You've been spotted 0 07-07-2009 11:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome