First Leg Of The TransAmerican Trail - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Jokers Lounge Share you daily funnies, keep it clean.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,340
First Leg Of The TransAmerican Trail

Some footage of a New York-based dualsport club setting out on the first leg of the Trans-American Trail, the little-known "Official First Leg" passing through the streets of Bedford-Sty. Their goal was to traverse the entire length of the trail with at least one member up on one wheel at all times and to travel light by not carrying any gear at all. It is unknown whether or not they successfully completed their journey.

Guess there's a niche market for KLR's besides old fat hillbillies like myself. Good to see that.




planalp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
Some footage of a New York-based dualsport club setting out on the first leg of the Trans-American Trail, the little-known "Official First Leg" passing through the streets of Bedford-Sty. Their goal was to traverse the entire length of the trail with at least one member up on one wheel at all times and to travel light by not carrying any gear at all. It is unknown whether or not they successfully completed their journey.

Guess there's a niche market for KLR's besides old fat hillbillies like myself. Good to see that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4...eature=related

I thought squids only rode sport bikes. I hate to see this kind of stuff.

One thing though KLRs can wheelie....

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I thought squids only rode sport bikes. I hate to see this kind of stuff.

One thing though KLRs can wheelie....
I'm curious if extended wheelies on a KLR like this would cause any problems with oil starvation in certain parts of the engine, especially when the wheelies are nearly vertical.

I don't want to do any damage to my engine when I start doing this myself......



planalp is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear
 
tractorking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 482
Ive seen that before and wonder what gearing they are using.
I cant even get my KLR to wheelie never the less pull throttle
induced wheelies like those.

While I do find this type of thing somewhat silly, it does warm my heart
to see a KLR motobike club in the depths of NYC.

Tractorking
Sitting on a dock of the Bay
Redwood City, California

“Although motorcycle riding is romantic, motorcycle maintenance is purely classic.”
Robert M. Pirsig
tractorking is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorking View Post
Ive seen that before and wonder what gearing they are using.
I cant even get my KLR to wheelie never the less pull throttle
induced wheelies like those.

While I do find this type of thing somewhat silly, it does warm my heart
to see a KLR motobike club in the depths of NYC.
I thought it was kind of odd that they'd choose KLR's since there are more wheelie-capable bikes out there, but after watching this, their KLR's seem to do just fine. It would be interesting to learn why the KLR is their bike of choice.



planalp is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorking View Post
Ive seen that before and wonder what gearing they are using.
I cant even get my KLR to wheelie never the less pull throttle
induced wheelies like those.

While I do find this type of thing somewhat silly, it does warm my heart
to see a KLR motobike club in the depths of NYC.

Technique not power. Pull in the clutch, rev the motor and pop the clutch. Front wheel gets light, keep twisting the throttle with your weight back = wheelie.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear
 
masterlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bethlehem,PA
Posts: 689
I heard a married couple started at s. Jersey shore to make it "ocean to ocean". I will be quite content just to do Tenn. To Oregon!!!! Trying to decide what six weeks would be best. ????????? I plan to ship the bike home from my brother's place in s. Calif.(after LJ) shows me a ride or two!!)

~Things work out best for those that make the best of the way things work out~
masterlink is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterlink View Post
I heard a married couple started at s. Jersey shore to make it "ocean to ocean". I will be quite content just to do Tenn. To Oregon!!!! Trying to decide what six weeks would be best. ????????? I plan to ship the bike home from my brother's place in s. Calif.(after LJ) shows me a ride or two!!)





"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
It makes a lot of sense...KLRs are great city bikes. Especially if evasive maneuvers are called for. Am I the only one surprised by all the stock paint jobs/plastic? A couple tricked out, but not as many as I would have thought.

I've seen these guys before, not this video, though. But yeah, squidly behavior aside, it makes sense. Same reason couriers (and cops) like dual sports.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member
 
flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,534
Send a message via Yahoo to flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Technique not power. Pull in the clutch, rev the motor and pop the clutch. Front wheel gets light, keep twisting the throttle with your weight back = wheelie.
And...cover the rear brake.

Gray-haired riders don’t get that way from pure luck.

Unknown
flash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scooters trail bike,,,,, Scooter Show Off Your Bike 0 06-03-2010 08:13 PM
Would you do this trail? Paulo888 The Off Topic Lounge 10 03-11-2010 10:46 PM
TransAmerica Trail Easy Money Deep South Riders 1 05-19-2009 08:26 PM
Trail Tire Repair Kit Mylo1013 KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 3 05-19-2009 05:40 PM
TransAmerica Trail, May '07 GreenGene Southeast Riders 9 05-20-2007 06:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome