2012 klr650 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 85
2012 klr650

Any one hoping for a versys powered klr or FI?
eparker202 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
No.

Unrealistic expectation, IMHO.

Why?

With market share/price point/and, one assumes, profitability; why would Kawasaki expend the capital and effort such upgrading would require?

How would this cost be justified to the widows and orphans with their life savings in Kawasaki stock?

Last edited by LoneRider; 08-31-2011 at 04:13 PM.
LoneRider is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 85
the justification would be increase kawi's share of the market by taking away from bmw and triumphs sales with a klr powered by an engine that is closer in performance.

and an FI thumper would prolly be justified by meeting upcoming stricter emissions standards. Think FI ninja 250 and Klx250 in europe.
eparker202 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
the justification would be increase kawi's share of the market by taking away from bmw and triumphs sales with a klr powered by an engine that is closer in performance.

and an FI thumper would prolly be justified by meeting upcoming stricter emissions standards. Think FI ninja 250 and Klx250 in europe.
You do not address PRICE POINT, eparker202.

As to capturing market share from BMW and Triumph, with all due respect to the KLR's many charms, even with a new fuel-injected engine, don't think the KLR measures up to the European competition in suspension and performance.

At what price would a BMW/Triumph/Husky/etc. customer be indifferent to those marques for a souped-up KLR, still "less than" the European bikes in performance, fit and finish?

No threat to carbureted engines so far; leastwise, not the DEATH PENALTY.

I could be terribly wrong; Kawasaki in my opinion will dance with who brung 'em; 20-plus years of standard production, tooling/fixtures/jigs amortization, and . . . a profitable niche in the market with goal share and profitability, and a killer price-point advantage; lost to greater or lesser degree with re-engineing and fuel injection adapataion.

Economics don't justify the upgrade (no corresponding net gain); capitalization of the initiative especially risky with the Tsunami crisis and economic downturn woes.

That said, I HOPE I'm wrong!
LoneRider is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois, St. Louis metro area
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
Any one hoping for a versys powered klr or FI?
Hoping yes, expecting no.
Glasser is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 85
Obviously its prolly not going to happen, hence the "hoping" in my first post, but i believe there really is possibility there. BMW doesnt have this all amazing suspension in their g650s and f650s. Its your everyday non adjustable front fork and preload and rebound adjustable rear suspension (sound familiar?). And if anyone has ever seen or been on a g650 its about the size of a 125cc dirt bike. Anyways, the g650 has 48 crank hp and the f650 has 71, but both have FI. If kawi was to put the versys motor in a klr they could sell it for around 7000 without any problems (ninja 650 is 7200 and versys is 7600 msrp with 500 off right now and both of these bikes have more expensive equipment, brakes, suspension at least on the versys). So you are getting 60 rear wheel hp from your new klr and you can sell it for 1700 less than a base g650 and 4700 less than a f650s. Besides the most snobby of individuals i would say the klr has increased its market share.
eparker202 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
Obviously its prolly not going to happen, hence the "hoping" in my first post, but i believe there really is possibility there. BMW doesnt have this all amazing suspension in their g650s and f650s. Its your everyday non adjustable front fork and preload and rebound adjustable rear suspension (sound familiar?). And if anyone has ever seen or been on a g650 its about the size of a 125cc dirt bike. Anyways, the g650 has 48 crank hp and the f650 has 71, but both have FI. If kawi was to put the versys motor in a klr they could sell it for around 7000 without any problems (ninja 650 is 7200 and versys is 7600 msrp with 500 off right now and both of these bikes have more expensive equipment, brakes, suspension at least on the versys). So you are getting 60 rear wheel hp from your new klr and you can sell it for 1700 less than a base g650 and 4700 less than a f650s. Besides the most snobby of individuals i would say the klr has increased its market share.


The problem I think is that the basic KLR platform is 25+ years old. Sticking a 60 horsepower motor in it would require major upgrades unless you want an 80's bike.

Unfortuantely I believe that the EPA regs will force carbs out fairly soon and unless Big K wants to invest more money in the KLR... it's done. Dual sport bikes are a very small percentage of motorcyle sales so there's not much incentive there.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Dual sport bikes are a very small percentage of motorcyle sales so there's not much incentive there.
EXCEPTIONALLY valid point!

If Kawasaki Heavy Industries, by re-wickering the KLR's power plant, could capture the ENTIRE world's dual-sport market share 100 %, would the prize be worth its economic cost?

Would the initiative increase the bottom line over the status quo?

I'd imagine the green-eyeshade guys at Kawasaki have looked at this situation and concluded, "Uh, no."
LoneRider is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 85
its about 6% of the motorcycle market in the USA 30,000 units.
eparker202 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
its about 6% of the motorcycle market in the USA 30,000 units.
So, as opposed to "1 Percenters," we're "6 Percenters?" Think I'll get a new 6% embroidered jacket patch and maybe a new 6% tattoo.



planalp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alaska 2012 TT120 Bike and Rider Gear 20 04-15-2013 10:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome