Merlite modifications - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Merlite modifications

Has anyone modified the Merlite coolers into panniers. If so what mods did you do? I picked up a set for a swap and want to put them on my KLR. Thanks Jim : :smile:
armountainbiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 132
TreeMan is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
I did the mermite thing...mounted them up to a Happy Trails SU rack. They make great bags, hold a ton of crap, but the work involved in converting them is considerable. I followed this thread over on ADVRider.com:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17843

He guides you through the basics of gutting them of their insulation, etc. I had some good pics over on klr650.net, but the site appears to be down...again... :roll:

I strayed from his procedure a little bit in that I left that fiberglass (or whatever that material is) seal around the inner edge of the cans intact so that I could keep the rubber seal and keep them water tight. I just peeled the lip of the inner aluminum chamber up over and then the fun of prying it out began...followed by the joy of scraping the styrofoam insulation out...:roll:

So anyway, you will need some sort of rack to mount them to. Then you will need to figure out what position you want them mounted in, drill the holes, etc. Then figure out what to use for mounting bolts. I found a second hand Happy Trails SU rack, which is a great rack, but not cheap when you buy it new. I just used long bolts and wing nuts for awhile, but it was such a process getting the things on and off that I spent some money on a quick release mounting kit made specifically for the SU rack. Now I finally have them in a user-friendly state.

Oh and I painted them with black Rustoleum "hammered finish" paint, which I was very pleased with. It gave the cans a nice look.

Anyway, if .net gets back up and running I will post some pics...if not, I guess I'll have to dig up the originals.

Good luck, and if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. [/i]
G-unit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aesthetic body modifications Unividual 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 4 08-22-2007 08:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome