I've decided on a KLR
I've looked and looked for a month or two at four bikes. I've even looked at scooters. Here are a few reasons as to why I'm going to get a KLR 650.
1) Upright riding position
2) 6+ gallon fuel tank
3) Decent MPG
4) Been around forever
5) Friendly forums
6) Guys have taken the bike around the world and then some
7) Easy to find KLRs to buy
8) Lots of ways to carry 'stuff'
9) Can go anywhere...although most of my riding will be on pavement
10) Lots of extras can be bought for the bike
11) Availability of a large windscreen
Other bikes I've looked at and thoughts on them
1) Riders get sore after a short time
2) Fantastic MPG
3) Some 250 forums have immature youngters
4) Should keep revs up all of the time.....can be a pain in traffic
5) I weigh 230 so riding two up is at the limits of the bike
6) I'm 6' tall so my legs would be more cramped
7) Looks cool
8) Hard to find and dealers are starting to charge $500 over msrp
9) Look at all of the plastic....esp changing oil, dropping the bike etc
10)Limited at to what you can carry
11)At highway speed the motor is working hard....ie little left over
1) Great bike IMHO
2) All the sport I'd ever want in a bike
3) Still a small windshield
4) Still a hump-over riding position
5) Decent MPG
6) Can ride two up with ease
7) Looks cool
8) Still hard to find
9) Has a great reputation
10 Still limited as to what you can carry
1) Costly...I know it has some good stuff but it still costs more
2) Love fuel injection
3) I'd rather have the flat back end of the KLR
4) Sitting on the bike feels great
5) Appears to be close to the 650r
Scooters......I'd get a 250cc if they didn't cost so much. When I see 5 grand for a decent 250cc scooter I ask myself why not a motorcycle.
Bikes I've had in the past include a 79 Honda 500 cx.......great bike, loved the ride but perhaps a bit underpowered. I've also had a kawasaki vulcan 750. This one had good power, comfortable ride but the darn thing fell apart on me. Also, with no windshield I felt like a parachut riding down the road.
I'm mainly going to use the bike for the following
1) Driving 15 miles round trip to work....mostly interstate travel
2) Long drives from SC to almost Canada during the summer (800-900 miles)
3) Camping during the summer
4) Around town trips (mostly 45 mph speed zones)
5) One of my top ten things to do before I part this world (hopefully a long time from now) will be to tour the USA.....mainly AK. I might go up to Canada or Mexico or South America some day.
I'm a fairly rugged guy and the KLR seems to fit me. I don't mind riding even when it is cold (about 20 or 30 F) outside. Camping to me is a little bit of heaven and should be done as often as possible.
Look forward to getting to know some of you guys and gals.