This site has helped me a lot, so it's time to join. I have a real mystery. If anyone can help, I'd be so appreciative. I love working on bikes, but this has stumped me. I almost never do electrical work...
Last fall, my 2008 KLR was running fine until it sat for about 2 weeks (under cover). I turned the key, and no power.
So, I charged the battery. I then had power, but when I pushed the starter, just a click and no power. It was fall and chilly, so I stored it under shelter.
This spring I had absolutely no power at all. The battery tested at 12.6 volts. I replace the starter relay and starter circuit relay (after doing some testing). I have power back now. When the system is charging up (just turned on the key), the battery tests at about 3.5 volts. Once power up, 12.6 volts or so. Seems good.
When I apply any draw (horn, turn lights, ignition), I lose all power immediately. When I push the starter, there is a click.
Battery again tests at about 12.6 volts.
I get power back again if I turn the key off, then back on, then wait somewhere between 30 second and 1 minute. I can repeat the process.
Maybe a useless point. I use a battery tender junior and lately it has been flashing green more often (indicating the battery is at about 80% charge). However, the battery is testing fine (I think).
Another side note, the wires are all wrapped up, so this bike went in for the wiring recall. I am the third owner and I've had it for about 3 years.
Sorry that was so long. Please do help. I am stumped.