Yes it's about oil. - Page 4 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 259
Got my oil report back from Blackstone last night. If I knew how to post it up I would, but here's a brief summary.
Wear metals were high. They tell me that is normal and will go down after a few oil changes and the parts finish wearing in.
What shocked me was the viscosity had deteriorated so much in only 1,000 miles of use. Evidently that KLR engine sheared the hell out of it. So much for the super ester synthetics being able to handle shear . Quite the opposite from what Motul advertizes. I have a bit over a qt left in the jug so it's looking like I may have the only Briggs powered lawn mover with a crank case full of Motul Ester 10W40. Going to run the Rotella T6 1,500 miles or so and send it off to be looked at.

Never pick a fight with an old man.. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you..
PaddyD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,186
Until Ponce de Leon markets oil under his brand, I doubt any particular oil used in a KLR650 extends its engine service life extensively, even measurably, beyond the durability offered by Kawasaki-recommended lubricants.

But . . . that's probably just ME!

That said . . . I expect continuation of interminable Quixotic searches (or quests, if you prefer), for the ONE TRUE OIL (perhaps used to lubricate the hinges of the Ark of the Covenant).

“You better put down that gun. You got two ways to go, put it down or use it. Even if you tie me, you’re gonna be dead.” "John Russell" (Paul Newman), Hombre
Damocles is offline  
post #33 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,429
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
...If I knew how to post it up I would,...
@PaddyD,

You can send it to me and I'll process it and post it. What I do is convert it to a .pdf, use Acrobat Pro to redact the sensitive info, then save it as an image file, upload it to flickr, and publish.

You could also save it as an image file and redact it in a photo editor.

If you want me to post it up for you, send it to the e-mail address below.
pdwestman likes this.

Tom [email protected]

“I lit a cigarette and dragged a smoking stand beside the chair. The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
 
post #34 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM
1st Gear
 
Norton 850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
So much for the super ester synthetics being able to handle shear .
I'm a dilettante when it comes to understanding motor oil performance, but in my mind the BIGGEST difference between synthetic-base and petroleum-base motor oils is the former's ability to resist the deleterious affects of temperature extremes. I would not expect much difference in shear performance between the two lubricants under the same shear conditions and at a temperature of say 225F.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline  
post #35 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Got my oil report back from Blackstone last night. If I knew how to post it up I would, but here's a brief summary.
Wear metals were high. They tell me that is normal and will go down after a few oil changes and the parts finish wearing in.
What shocked me was the viscosity had deteriorated so much in only 1,000 miles of use. Evidently that KLR engine sheared the hell out of it. So much for the super ester synthetics being able to handle shear . Quite the opposite from what Motul advertizes. I have a bit over a qt left in the jug so it's looking like I may have the only Briggs powered lawn mover with a crank case full of Motul Ester 10W40. Going to run the Rotella T6 1,500 miles or so and send it off to be looked at.
PaddyD,
How many miles are on your engine currently? I figure 5000 - 10,000 miles to achieve complete break-in of all the gear teeth in a unit construction motorcycle engine.

It is all of the gears that shear the engine oil in ALL unit construction motorcycle engines.
Have you compared your Motul oil viscosity shear to my chosen Kawasaki engine oil? It's Normal, even according to BSL. Don't worry about it. Read the BSL paragraph on my 1st ever oil report.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 84,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #36 of 55 Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Neutral
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
2 things about using synthetics in motorcycles. I believe synthetics produce less sludge formation than conventional so there's that. The other is, it's conventional wisdom handed down from out grandfathers that low-mileage engines need to have the oil changed once a year regardless. But we no longer have our grandfathers' technology. Oils are completely different and the crankcase is pretty much sealed. So how does synthetic oil or even conventional break down while it sits? I don't believe it does, anymore than you have a jug of oil sitting on your garage shelf and you don't throw it away if you haven't used it in a year.
Lee_T is offline  
post #37 of 55 Old 06-21-2019, 07:19 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 24
I have a 2009 KLR 650, just past 70,700 miles. When I got the bike with 2000 miles on it the oil had be changed once at a dealer. Since then I had only run Rotella T 15-40 non-synthetic. I had the oil tested twice, 1st was a round 12,000, 2nd around 20,000. Both test showed what was considered normal wear metals, and the oil itself was withing acceptable shear levels at 5000 mile change intervals. so I haven't had it tested since. Compression is good, shifts good, clutch doesn't slip, and I still get better than 58 mpg average. I check the magnetic plug for metal at every oil change, so far, so good! I changed to Castrol 20w-50 last summer, the clutch acted different so I went back to Rotella.Maybe I should have the oil tested again?
Lee_T likes this.
Surfersami is offline  
post #38 of 55 Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_T View Post
So how does synthetic oil or even conventional break down while it sits? I don't believe it does, anymore than you have a jug of oil sitting on your garage shelf and you don't throw it away if you haven't used it in a year.
Correct; the idea that oil deteriorates from sitting is something that the automotive industry has planted in our heads to help sell more service appointments. My Jaguar has a 16,000 mile oil change interval.....OR one year whatever comes first. So far it has had the oil changed every year for the past 4 years and I have a total of 11,000 miles on the car. Last year I put just over 1100 miles on the car and dutifully took it in for it's annual oil change. You'll never convince me that there was anything wrong with the oil with 1100 miles on it though.....


Dave
Lee_T likes this.
DPelletier is offline  
post #39 of 55 Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
@PaddyD,

You can send it to me and I'll process it and post it. What I do is convert it to a .pdf, use Acrobat Pro to redact the sensitive info, then save it as an image file, upload it to flickr, and publish.

You could also save it as an image file and redact it in a photo editor.

If you want me to post it up for you, send it to the e-mail address below.
Thanks and I just emailed it to you..

Never pick a fight with an old man.. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you..
PaddyD is offline  
post #40 of 55 Old 06-21-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
PaddyD,
How many miles are on your engine currently? I figure 5000 - 10,000 miles to achieve complete break-in of all the gear teeth in a unit construction motorcycle engine.

It is all of the gears that shear the engine oil in ALL unit construction motorcycle engines.
Have you compared your Motul oil viscosity shear to my chosen Kawasaki engine oil? It's Normal, even according to BSL. Don't worry about it. Read the BSL paragraph on my 1st ever oil report.
She's a brand new unit. barely got 1600 miles on. If it would just stop raining here in Michigan I could get out more.

Never pick a fight with an old man.. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you..
PaddyD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome