Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum - Reply to Topic
KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Thread: Help- Fuse Block Issue Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-31-2018 12:32 AM
ductapenzipties All my lighting wires get a bit too hot for my liking around the block but I think its because they're old and a bit corroded and thus higher resistance as was stated earlier. Maybe if it gets real bad you can have heated seat. 🙂

I bet itll be fine, Long as it doesn't melt anything.
05-30-2018 07:50 PM
Toney If it isn't blowing fuses, then the current is not to high for the wires. I would ride it.
05-30-2018 10:22 AM
Tom Schmitz A short is a direct connection between positive and negative with no appreciable resistance. The result is very high amperage, a lot of heat, smoke, and fire.

A hot wire is indicative of either a resistive load (usually a bad connection that has a high resistance) or a wire that is too small for the load that it is carrying, thus it presents as a resistive load.

The typical, modern-day wiring loom has wires that are only just big enough to carry their intended load. They are typically smaller than they should be and the wires that carry a high load will get warm. This is typically the headlight circuit on a motorcycle. The problem with this is that the under-size wire doesn't leave any margin for error; it has no excess load-carrying capacity in the event of a poor connection.

To answer your question, yes, some warmth is normal in the headlight circuit. None of the other circuits should be carrying enough load that they would get warm. While you may feel a warm wire, it should not be uncomfortable to touch.

A popular modification, which improves lighting on the Gen 1 bikes, is to re-purpose the headlight wiring as relay triggers and install a decent lighting sub harness with larger wiring. There is then less voltage drop and more voltage available to the headlights.

Adding grease doesn't do anything to improve the connection. Once the connection has been properly cleaned of corrosion, curing the bad connection, grease will serve to prevent further corrosion from happening.
05-30-2018 07:40 AM
Crestwood Any heat off the wires normal, or is it symptomatic of a short somewhere? Thoughts?
05-28-2018 09:01 PM
Crestwood I added dialectic grease on all the connections in and around the stock fuse box. There is less heat generated than before adding the grease. What I'm trying to understand is this: Is it 'normal' to feel some level of heat on the lighting wires when the lights are on, or should they remain cold to the touch? I just need to know what normal is. Thank you.
05-28-2018 02:11 PM
Tom Schmitz A hot connection usually means that there is a high resistance at that connection. Heated grips get hot because there is a high resistance wire that current has to flow through. Same principle.

Wherever you have heat, disassemble what you can, clean it very well, reassemble. You can put some dielectric grease on it or a product like CRC battery terminal protector to prevent future corrosion.
05-28-2018 01:26 PM
Toney What kind of grease did you put on it? You should have use dielectric grease if any at all. It doesn't conduct electricity. Regular grease will. Is the grease burning?
05-27-2018 08:42 PM
Crestwood
Help- Fuse Block Issue

So, I dumped the 06 KLR and got wedged between a rock and a tree. It crushed the rear fender and damaged the tailight. When I got back to camp I found the taillight bulb flying loose in the taillight lens and the fuse for the 10 amp headlight and tailight was blown. I replaced the fuse, added dialectic grease to all connections, and put a new 1157 taillight bulb in the tail socket. All function to the lights returned, however, I noticed heat coming off the stock fuse box and wires. Is it normal for the lighting wires to warm up while the lights are on, or is something else going on like a dead short somewhere? I've never put my hand on the fuse box with the lights on before, so I don't know what normal is. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also the bike's equipment is all stock, no aftermarket electrical parts added.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome