Just want to show you my new car.. - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
The Off Topic Lounge The area for all things off topic. Keep it clean, and keep it friendly.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada!!:-)
Posts: 105
Just want to show you my new car..

I closed the deal on this sweet gem a few minutes ago and am looking forward to picking it up. It's been many, many years since I've had a car, and so hopefully you can understand and forgive me for posting about it on a KLR forum.

She's a manual and is pretty basic but does have air and a nice radio/CD, which is all this old boy really needs.

http://www.jwford.com/inventory/2010...92482/Reno/NV/
AlvinTostig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Off topic is open season. I have a 05 manual focus (hatchback). Good little car. My wife drives it.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 78
Good price on a great little car. I rent them all the time for work.

I went the other way, I just got a Expedition. There goes the kids collage fund to pay for gas.
Snakeshack is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada!!:-)
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Off topic is open season. I have a 05 manual focus (hatchback). Good little car. My wife drives it.
It's pretty stodgy and the chicks aren't going to look twice, but for my needs it's enough.
AlvinTostig is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada!!:-)
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeshack View Post
Good price on a great little car. I rent them all the time for work.

I went the other way, I just got a Expedition. There goes the kids collage fund to pay for gas.
Yeah; I don't know what to tell on the gas situation. Hopefully I can drive around in my little thing for a while and have some fun before things get too outrageous.
AlvinTostig is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada!!:-)
Posts: 105
This is a slight bummer to read..

I read many owners of this car say that getting it in manual was the way to go, but now I'm not so sure.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...rd-focus-1.htm
AlvinTostig is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,386
I like manuals and have had one in every vehicle I've owned since 1985, but they have their downsides. They suck if you drive in traffic a lot and, believe it or not, if you ever have a transmission problem, they're actually harder to work on and will most likely cost you more than an auto trans repair. I was the "tranny guy" at a local Dodge dealership and we shucked through automatic transmissions like they were nothing but always hated seeing a manual come in. Doesn't seem to make sense, but it's true. Automatics are easier to work on. We just worked on a lot of autos because they far outnumber manuals.

If you're concerned about mileage, I would imagine a lot of that disparity between mileage with an auto vs. a manual transmission could be negated by driving habits. It's easy to mash on the gas and accelerate fast away from a stoplight in a car with an automatic transmission; not so much so with a manual. I think a lot of people decrease their mileage with an auto trans by thinking they're John Force when the light turns green.

I suppose the auto transmission requires more energy from the engine to operate, drag, etc. but if you "drive it like an old man" most of the time, I think you'd see that gas mileage gap get a lot closer to the manual.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, sticks suck in heavy traffic. It's personal preference, of course, but after 26 years of driving a stick, my next vehicle's going to have an automatic.

In my humble opinion, you made a great choice. Everybody seems to think the Focus is a great little car.



planalp is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada!!:-)
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
I like manuals and have had one in every vehicle I've owned since 1985, but they have their downsides. They suck if you drive in traffic a lot and, believe it or not, if you ever have a transmission problem, they're actually harder to work on and will most likely cost you more than an auto trans repair. I was the "tranny guy" at a local Dodge dealership and we shucked through automatic transmissions like they were nothing but always hated seeing a manual come in. Doesn't seem to make sense, but it's true. Automatics are easier to work on. We just worked on a lot of autos because they far outnumber manuals.

If you're concerned about mileage, I would imagine a lot of that disparity between mileage with an auto vs. a manual transmission could be negated by driving habits. It's easy to mash on the gas and accelerate fast away from a stoplight in a car with an automatic transmission; not so much so with a manual. I think a lot of people decrease their mileage with an auto trans by thinking they're John Force when the light turns green.

I suppose the auto transmission requires more energy from the engine to operate, drag, etc. but if you "drive it like an old man" most of the time, I think you'd see that gas mileage gap get a lot closer to the manual.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, sticks suck in heavy traffic. It's personal preference, of course, but after 26 years of driving a stick, my next vehicle's going to have an automatic.

In my humble opinion, you made a great choice. Everybody seems to think the Focus is a great little car.
Thanks for sharing all of that!

Like anything else in this world, the car no doubt has plenty of pluses and minuses so I'll try and keep things in perspective.

For my simple needs it really looks like it'll be just wonderful. These days there's so many great cars and bikes out there as a result of human beings having gotten a solid grasp on design, engineering and manufacturing and other processes and things that all go into bringing such marvelous wonders to the Table of Life. It wasn't that long ago that people all over the planet considered themselves luck if they could get one quality meal and a few nice clothes in their miserable lives now and then. But these days there are billions of folks that have it unbelievably good by comparison, and on so many levels!

Perspective.
AlvinTostig is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinTostig View Post
I read many owners of this car say that getting it in manual was the way to go, but now I'm not so sure.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...rd-focus-1.htm
You need to remember that the people who are rating the car drive EVERYTHING and many won't or don't like manual shift vehicles.. I'm also a manual guy..

While the transmision might not be the slickest shifting car on the road, when you consider the cost of the car and what you're using it for, I'm sure it'll be just fine..

I've got a 09' Scion xB and I get a charge out of the comments about it.. They're the same comments about the Gen 1 xB's, and I loved mine.. I just wanted a bit more power and a bit more room.. The Gen 2 xB gave me just that, with it still being a great car.. Critics be damned!!
Paper is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
I like manuals and have had one in every vehicle I've owned since 1985, but they have their downsides. They suck if you drive in traffic a lot and, believe it or not, if you ever have a transmission problem, they're actually harder to work on and will most likely cost you more than an auto trans repair. I was the "tranny guy" at a local Dodge dealership and we shucked through automatic transmissions like they were nothing but always hated seeing a manual come in. Doesn't seem to make sense, but it's true. Automatics are easier to work on. We just worked on a lot of autos because they far outnumber manuals.

If you're concerned about mileage, I would imagine a lot of that disparity between mileage with an auto vs. a manual transmission could be negated by driving habits. It's easy to mash on the gas and accelerate fast away from a stoplight in a car with an automatic transmission; not so much so with a manual. I think a lot of people decrease their mileage with an auto trans by thinking they're John Force when the light turns green.

I suppose the auto transmission requires more energy from the engine to operate, drag, etc. but if you "drive it like an old man" most of the time, I think you'd see that gas mileage gap get a lot closer to the manual.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, sticks suck in heavy traffic. It's personal preference, of course, but after 26 years of driving a stick, my next vehicle's going to have an automatic.

In my humble opinion, you made a great choice. Everybody seems to think the Focus is a great little car.
I am sure these cars are fine. But I can not dissagree more on the auto vs. manual debate, A manual trans will last around 260,000 miles where an auto will last around 95,000 miles. I would much rather replace a $225 clutch at 125,000 miles than spend $2200 to have an auto rebuilt at the same mileage. Also if you drive smart in traffic then a stick will be just like an auto, you just have to drive smart and dont stay 6 inches off the car in front of you. Simply limp along in first and leave a gap in front of you so you do not have to constantly ride the clutch...
Bug Killer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greenville SC International MC Show anyone? slash5john Southeast Riders 5 01-13-2009 01:02 PM
Show and Tell . . . ADVRiderKLR Show Off Your Bike 3 05-29-2007 08:51 PM
Come on you Left Coasters, show me......... Swish The Off Topic Lounge 1 05-01-2007 01:49 PM
San Mateo Motorcycle Show tomatocity KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 3 11-28-2006 02:51 PM
Show of hands ? Slaghammer 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 16 10-22-2006 12:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome