Etiquette, whatever became of it? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
The Off Topic Lounge The area for all things off topic. Keep it clean, and keep it friendly.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
thetable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Loudoun, VA
Posts: 303
Etiquette, whatever became of it?

So I keep seeing a bunch of posts and threads to the effect of "got kicked off", "got banned", and "xyz can pound sand". Is this how you start a conversation in real life too?

Do you start your first conversation on your first date by talking about what a B/D your last partner was and how you got dumped? Do you open your job interview by talking about what a jerk your old boss was or what a crappy company the last one was or how you got fired from your last job?

I know I haven't been here that long, but these introductions are just like nails on a chalkboard to me. Leave the bitterness, frustration, and anger behind, because this is not there. Introduce yourself as that guy who has had a KLR for X long, or that guy who is looking for a KLR, or whatever, but NOT that guy that got banned/booted/kicked from that site.
thetable is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 PM
RLF
2nd Gear
 
RLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 215
It might be the way it starts at the local bar, and then you might add give me a shot of the cheap stuff. Oh by the way I have 2011 KLR
RLF is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
1st Gear
 
MarKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
So I keep seeing a bunch of posts and threads to the effect of "got kicked off", "got banned", and "xyz can pound sand". Is this how you start a conversation in real life too?

Do you start your first conversation on your first date by talking about what a B/D your last partner was and how you got dumped? Do you open your job interview by talking about what a jerk your old boss was or what a crappy company the last one was or how you got fired from your last job?

I know I haven't been here that long, but these introductions are just like nails on a chalkboard to me. Leave the bitterness, frustration, and anger behind, because this is not there. Introduce yourself as that guy who has had a KLR for X long, or that guy who is looking for a KLR, or whatever, but NOT that guy that got banned/booted/kicked from that site.
I'll have to say that I agree with you about the first date thing or new job, but I don't equate this forum to either one of them. I would say it is more equal to campfire, cafe, or bar talk.

I came to this forum because it was recomended by the guy I bought my KLR from, but I feel that if I had been mistreated by this group or another I would probably express it as a warning to others or to see if anyone else had the same problem, or maybe subliminally have the question "Hey, this happened to me at this group. Do I need to expect the same here?"

But that's just how I see it. So it doesn't bother me much. I just take it as a warning.

...."The things which are impossible with men are possible with God" Luke 18:27

Havaguden
MarKLR is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Disccussion of treatment on another forum, in the context of questioning local forum policies, appears fair biographical game, on a motorcycle forum, as far as I'm concerned.

For example, if one leaves a forum whose administrator, a pot-headed adult child living at home with his parents, has just pantomined on the World Wide Web the murder of a forum member by high-powered rifle, with windage and elevation corrections, he might ask if the same behavior is to be expected here.

If a new member was banned for mentioning a particular product or vendor (not one doomed to success, or marketed by a favored marketer), can that happen here?

If, for example, one's reference to a forum (e.g., "www.klrforums.com") was CENSORED on another forum, is that the practice here?

I agree, merely bashing another forum serves no useful purpose. However, factual recitation of previous experiences, and sincere inquiry about issues surrounding related policies on this forum, appear appropriate, to me.
LoneRider is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
4th Gear
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 1,123
I'm 6'4" 280lbs, like long rides mixed with double and single track. I like the trackmaster on the rear and s12 up front for extra protection in the soft stuff. Talking about my doo-hicky makes me nervous but it has been done and gets adjusted regularly. I ride other bikes but consider it an open relationship between me and the KLR even though I don't let anyone ride it but me.

Oh wait, this isn't the meet local bikers forum. Glad I didn't post my resume.

*** KLR650, Tweeting long before your kids thought it was cool.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Buildit is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
thetable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Loudoun, VA
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKLR View Post
I'll have to say that I agree with you about the first date thing or new job, but I don't equate this forum to either one of them. I would say it is more equal to campfire, cafe, or bar talk.
Maybe it's just the way I operate, but...

I wouldn't go to a new campfire talking about how another campfire kicked me out for peeing on the fire.

I wouldn't go to a new bar telling how I got barred from the old bar for running around with my shirt off and doing blow in the bathroom.

I don't know about a cafe, never been to one. Maybe taste the coffee before you start complaining about how bad the other place's coffee is.

Yes it seems like a reasonable discussion to have as to what to expect here, but a little tact in looking for that information seems a more appropriate. You have what, 15 posts before you can post links, seems like a good opportunity to do some reading around, get a feel for things, introduce yourself, and so on. Establish yourself as somebody, not just "that guy that got banned."
thetable is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
So I keep seeing a bunch of posts and threads to the effect of "got kicked off", "got banned", and "xyz can pound sand". Is this how you start a conversation in real life too?

Do you start your first conversation on your first date by talking about what a B/D your last partner was and how you got dumped? Do you open your job interview by talking about what a jerk your old boss was or what a crappy company the last one was or how you got fired from your last job?

I know I haven't been here that long, but these introductions are just like nails on a chalkboard to me. Leave the bitterness, frustration, and anger behind, because this is not there. Introduce yourself as that guy who has had a KLR for X long, or that guy who is looking for a KLR, or whatever, but NOT that guy that got banned/booted/kicked from that site.
Glad I'm not the only one put off by those intros.. just seemed odd, "Hey look I started drama somewhere else"
Keshler is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Maybe it's just the way I operate, but...

I wouldn't go to a new campfire talking about how another campfire kicked me out for peeing on the fire.

I wouldn't go to a new bar telling how I got barred from the old bar for running around with my shirt off and doing blow in the bathroom.

I don't know about a cafe, never been to one. Maybe taste the coffee before you start complaining about how bad the other place's coffee is.

Yes it seems like a reasonable discussion to have as to what to expect here, but a little tact in looking for that information seems a more appropriate. You have what, 15 posts before you can post links, seems like a good opportunity to do some reading around, get a feel for things, introduce yourself, and so on. Establish yourself as somebody, not just "that guy that got banned."

Yea I agree for the most part. I think what drives some of the animosity towards the other forum is that it's the antithesis of what a forum should be. People come here in disbelief of how they were treated and have a need to vent about it. You sure can't vent over there!

IMHO a forum should be an open exchange of ideas without vitriolic attacks. No reason to censor other sites, vendors, etc. State your case and leave it at that. No reason to wield the ban hammer for those with desenting opinions.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear
 
NH Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ashland, NH
Posts: 285
My mother use to tell me: "If you can't say something nice about somebody, don't say anything."
I'm not always successful at that, but I try. With all the recent postings about the other forum, I have been tempted to join it.
Instead, I will just say what I said in my original introduction posting last year.
After about a year of lurking at both forums I decided to join here because of "how helpful everybody is and that the attitudes are always positive".
Our forum and you guys/gals have been great.
NH Thumper is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
1st Gear
 
MarKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Maybe it's just the way I operate, but...

I wouldn't go to a new campfire talking about how another campfire kicked me out for peeing on the fire.

I wouldn't go to a new bar telling how I got barred from the old bar for running around with my shirt off and doing blow in the bathroom.

I don't know about a cafe, never been to one. Maybe taste the coffee before you start complaining about how bad the other place's coffee is.

Yes it seems like a reasonable discussion to have as to what to expect here, but a little tact in looking for that information seems a more appropriate. You have what, 15 posts before you can post links, seems like a good opportunity to do some reading around, get a feel for things, introduce yourself, and so on. Establish yourself as somebody, not just "that guy that got banned."
I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

All of the scenarios you used seemed to support the sometimes unanswered question of "I did this at x. Is it acceptable here?" just sayin'.

BTW ..... I like your avatar.


Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

...."The things which are impossible with men are possible with God" Luke 18:27

Havaguden
MarKLR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealership Etiquette Djinn KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 7 05-20-2009 10:03 PM
Redneck Driving Etiquette t3chnow1z Jokers Lounge 0 10-16-2007 09:00 AM
Office Etiquette....... Swish The Off Topic Lounge 24 04-08-2007 11:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome