What (NKLR) are you working on? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
The Off Topic Lounge The area for all things off topic. Keep it clean, and keep it friendly.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,481
What (NKLR) are you working on?

Apologies as think there was a thread like this but couldn't find. I know many of us are working on other projects/repairs and thought it would be interesting to hear about them.

I have a 1975 Arctic Cat 440 which a friend bought to get going. These are the single Walbro carbs with integral fuel pump so felt lucky to find a carb kit on line. Compression is good, good spark and such to sorting the carb then hoping it doesn't need crankcase seals...

Another friend dropped off a 1985 Honda VF750S which hadn't been running for many years. Both trigger coils were bad and carbs flooding. These are the dual ignition system models which have a separate trigger oil, module and ignition coil for each pair of cylinders. I was a bit nervous over ordering trigger coils as still wonder about the probability of both failing but the scope tells all. :-)

Carbs are waiting for "O" rings and other bits.

Old EM600 Honda Generator still here waiting to try a Chinese scooter ignition module. Module not here but he borrowed another one which runs so need to get my butt in gear and see if there is ignition advance and whether it's air gap or module based.

Just replaced the muffler on Mister2 (my collector 86 Toyota MR2) interesting as it corroded through the pipe between cat and muffler so managed to find a new muffler. Interesting part is that it now idles 100 RPM higher so seems the old muffler must have been quite restrictive. Hadn't noticed anything but then likely wouldn't unless it was really bad.

What other stuff is on the bench at your place?
Normk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Nothing big going on in my garage these days. About the only project I have ongoing is repowering a1971 CT70 that I had when I was a wee young lad . I tried to overhaul it when I was about 12 and pretty much destroyed it in the process... Lol!

650Stew is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,466
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
I've got a Honda HS 35 snowblower that was recently given to me that I'm trying to get running right for my son. Starts good from cold but not well from hot. Doesn't seem to have power under load. Figure it's not getting fuel and am planning on pulling the carb off and giving it a dunk. Think it got stored with fuel that has long since evaporated.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Pedro, CA
Posts: 129
Just finished putting new pistons in a seriously seized RD400. About to start on a neglected Honda 4 cylinder of undetermined vintage. With this one I would have to work pretty hard to do any harm.
Trundlebike is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
 
DirtWeasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central WA. state
Posts: 16
My project bike is a '91 Honda CBR 600 F2. I got it for $300 about three years ago. It's the other bike I tinker on. When I'm finished with it, it will be a Repsol copy. Here's an early picture of the first ride after I finally got it running.
DirtWeasel is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
I've got a Honda HS 35 snowblower that was recently given to me that I'm trying to get running right for my son. Starts good from cold but not well from hot. Doesn't seem to have power under load. Figure it's not getting fuel and am planning on pulling the carb off and giving it a dunk. Think it got stored with fuel that has long since evaporated.
Had a snow blower given to me doing much the same thing. Turned out the throttle shaft was seized to the body of the carb. When I freed that up it ran fine!
jj

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,331
I've got one of those Chinese 49cc scooters I used to ride around town. Last Summer it made a big clunk and the engine locked up: won't turn with even the kick starter.

So, I don't know if there's something seriously wrong or maybe something just broke and got jammed up with the electric starter.

I've been meaning to start taking it apart and checking it out, but never have the time. My goal is to pull the engine out and get it on the bench in the basement so I can mess around with it this Winter.

Don't know if I'll be ordering parts to fix it or taking the whole machine apart piece by piece and throwing a little of it in the trash each week.

You can buy a new engine/transmission unit for around $350 but the rest of the thing is ratty enough it wouldn't be worth the investment.

I've also got a fairly-new self-propelled push mower I never use and would like to sell, but it only runs at half-speed for about 20 seconds and then dies. It has some kind of automatic choke mechanism and I'd say there's something wrong with that.



planalp is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
I've got one of those Chinese 49cc scooters I used to ride around town. Last Summer it made a big clunk and the engine locked up: won't turn with even the kick starter.

So, I don't know if there's something seriously wrong or maybe something just broke and got jammed up with the electric starter.

I've been meaning to start taking it apart and checking it out, but never have the time. My goal is to pull the engine out and get it on the bench in the basement so I can mess around with it this Winter.

Don't know if I'll be ordering parts to fix it or taking the whole machine apart piece by piece and throwing a little of it in the trash each week.

You can buy a new engine/transmission unit for around $350 but the rest of the thing is ratty enough it wouldn't be worth the investment.

I've also got a fairly-new self-propelled push mower I never use and would like to sell, but it only runs at half-speed for about 20 seconds and then dies. It has some kind of automatic choke mechanism and I'd say there's something wrong with that.
Is that the kind where the rectangular tank is screwed directly to the bottom of the carb planalp? I just fixed a friend's mower with symptoms like that. there was so much sediment in the carb it would cover the fuel suction tube screen after a few seconds and kill the engine. The sediment would fall away and you could restart it easily then kill itself again. I removed the carb and tank, cleaned out the sediment and it runs like a top. 34 hour work.
Regards....justjeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,447
Garage
It's a bit wet out, coming back to the ship from Rothenburg. My biggest project is getting out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini.

Tom

Tom [email protected]

“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
Is that the kind where the rectangular tank is screwed directly to the bottom of the carb planalp? I just fixed a friend's mower with symptoms like that. there was so much sediment in the carb it would cover the fuel suction tube screen after a few seconds and kill the engine. The sediment would fall away and you could restart it easily then kill itself again. I removed the carb and tank, cleaned out the sediment and it runs like a top. 34 hour work.
Regards....justjeff
Right on. Thanks, justjeff. I'll give it a go.



planalp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need troubleshooting help? Fan not working santana 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 9 12-24-2013 02:18 AM
Working in the cold Crashoverride 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 9 12-18-2013 09:02 AM
What we've been working on this summer Buildit Travel Log & Trip Reports 1 09-05-2011 01:52 PM
Working on getting KLR#2! tumbleweedracer Show Off Your Bike 17 07-04-2011 10:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome