'87 KLR 250 won't run after more than 5 years - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Other KLR's - 250, 600, Tengai, C Models, KLX... Discussion of all the OTHER KLR models.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
'87 KLR 250 won't run after more than 5 years

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, since a couple of days I'm the owner of a KLR 250. It has been stored in someones living room for an unknown amount of time. One year ago a friend got it and stored it in a car park. Right now I'm busy to get it running again but I can't figure out why it won't start.

I would love to get some advice. I have a bit of experience in two and four stroke scooters, but now I want something faster, cooler, nicer and bigger.

When I got the bike I did a couple of things. There was some petrol left in the tank (one year old). I threw it away because it smells very bad. The tank is rusty so I use a good Yamaha (...?) tank temporarily.

I cleaned the carb and air filter, I checked the spark plug. It gives a good spark and it's clean. The electronic system seems ok, except my left front flasher, it doesn't work. The battery was dead, really dead so I replaced it. I also replaced the spark plug.

Right now I don't know were to start looking. What will be the best thing to start with?

Sven
svenbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,333
You need spark, compression, and a combustible mixture to run.

You have spark, assume compression . . . that leaves a combustible mixture.

Give it a whiff of STARTING FLUID (have fire extinguisher handy). If it runs on starting fluid, but not its on-board gasoline, disassemble, clean and adjust the carburetor. Check the starting enricher ("choke").
Damocles is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenbert View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, since a couple of days I'm the owner of a KLR 250. It has been stored in someones living room for an unknown amount of time. One year ago a friend got it and stored it in a car park. Right now I'm busy to get it running again but I can't figure out why it won't start.

I would love to get some advice. I have a bit of experience in two and four stroke scooters, but now I want something faster, cooler, nicer and bigger.

When I got the bike I did a couple of things. There was some petrol left in the tank (one year old). I threw it away because it smells very bad. The tank is rusty so I use a good Yamaha (...?) tank temporarily.

I cleaned the carb and air filter, I checked the spark plug. It gives a good spark and it's clean. The electronic system seems ok, except my left front flasher, it doesn't work. The battery was dead, really dead so I replaced it. I also replaced the spark plug.

Right now I don't know were to start looking. What will be the best thing to start with?

Sven
Hi Sven!
Welcome to the forum. I would have a look in that carb again. How far did you take it apart? Did you remove the main jet and jet holder? Are all the small passages and holes clear? Can you blow compressed air through the holes? If you don't have a compressor you can get cans of compressed "air" at electronic stores. You should also be able to see light through the holes in the main jet and jet holder. If you had the jet holder out , did the needle jet fall out of the carb without being noticed? Don't laugh, I recently purchased a 650 which the owner couldn't get running for just that reason. I have started many hard to start engines the way that Damocles suggested. Do you have starting fluid available? I have also primed the cylinder with a small amount of gas through the sparkplug hole on occasion.
Try some of these things and let us know how it turns out!
Regards....justjeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
You need spark, compression, and a combustible mixture to run.

You have spark, assume compression . . . that leaves a combustible mixture.

Give it a whiff of STARTING FLUID (have fire extinguisher handy). If it runs on starting fluid, but not its on-board gasoline, disassemble, clean and adjust the carburetor. Check the starting enricher ("choke").
Thanks for your fast answer. I used a bit of brake cleaner as a starting fluid but unfortunately it doesn't work. (Sprayed in in the air intake)

How can I check the choke, I don't now how it works on this carburetor, I assembled it in the way it was.

The compression is good enough for running. I think I will disassemble the carburetor today to adjust it.
svenbert is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
Hi Sven!
Welcome to the forum. I would have a look in that carb again. How far did you take it apart? Did you remove the main jet and jet holder? Are all the small passages and holes clear? Can you blow compressed air through the holes? If you don't have a compressor you can get cans of compressed "air" at electronic stores. You should also be able to see light through the holes in the main jet and jet holder. If you had the jet holder out , did the needle jet fall out of the carb without being noticed? Don't laugh, I recently purchased a 650 which the owner couldn't get running for just that reason. I have started many hard to start engines the way that Damocles suggested. Do you have starting fluid available? I have also primed the cylinder with a small amount of gas through the sparkplug hole on occasion.
Try some of these things and let us know how it turns out!
Regards....justjeff
Hi Jeff!
I took the carburetor apart as far as I could. It was all sticky, dirty and yellowish. I took a picture of all the parts after cleaning. I soaked it for a night in petrol, after that I brushed the dirt away, I used some hot water to warm up petrol (au bain-marie) and I washed every piece with it. After that I dried it, and I did use my homemade compressed air thing to make sure every little passage and hole was clean and open.



I sprayed some gas in the spark plug hole, it didn't work either. Im pretty sure I still have the needle jet, but I know that actually this little problems can drive you crazy, haha. One time I forgot to put in the main jet in a scooter carb and I was like why the *** is it not running!

I'm going to put some clothes on now and disassemble the carb to doublecheck everything!

Thanks!
svenbert is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
Yeahh! It finally does something. After a day of cleaning and trying I got my KLR running.
However, it only runs with the help of brake cleaner sprayed in the carburetor and when it's all burned, it stops and the fun is over.

I haven't connected the air filter yet, I'm going to do that now. Let's see what it does.

Sven
svenbert is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,572
Garage
Sven -

Have you checked to make sure that the carburetor is getting fuel? There should be a drain on the flat bowl that you can unscrew to be sure that fuel is there.

After sitting so long there could be some very difficult crud in the carburetor, despite the amount of cleaning you have done.

If there is fuel in the bowl, then it isn't getting up through the idle circuit which indicates it is still clogged.

T

Tom [email protected]

“She went out slowly. The way she did it hadn’t been learned at business college.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
I checked my carburetor, and it's getting fuel.
After dinner I'll kick again and check if the spark plug is wet to make sure fuel is getting into the cylinder. If it's not, I'll consider ultrasonic cleaning.

Are there other (read less expensive) manners to clean it better?

Thanks for your help mate

Sven
svenbert is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,572
Garage
Seafoam is often used over here to clean a balky carburetor, but I don't think it does much good if the engine won't already run a bit.

Unfortunately, a carb that has sat idle for several years with gas in it is just going to be gunked up. The only cure is a good, old fashioned thorough cleaning.

You might consider taking it in to a shop and having it 'boiled' if they do such things over there. Short of that, it's carb cleaner and elbow grease.

willys advocates soaking carbs in PineSol - do you have PineSol over there?

T

Tom [email protected]

“She went out slowly. The way she did it hadn’t been learned at business college.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 15
We don't have seafoam or PineSol over here

Do you mean ultrasonic cleaning with getting it boiled?

I checked the fuel drain screw again and this time only a little bit of fuel came out, it's also possible that my homemade fuel tank is not good enough for this japanese. The bottle started leaking, and I think the fuel in the carburetor got back in the bottle. Sounds a bit stupid but the original tank needs threatment.

I think I'm going to make you guys laugh:

svenbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KLR 250 won't run on new battery. eddievalleytrailer Other KLR's - 250, 600, Tengai, C Models, KLX... 13 06-12-2013 01:03 AM
1988 BWM twin something won't run for long beejjorgensen Other Bikes 17 11-09-2012 07:41 PM
KLR250 and a new battery, won't run. eddievalleytrailer 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 0 10-18-2012 01:19 PM
In southern Chile-Bike won't run Doogle 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 16 03-12-2011 05:25 PM
Won't run at all off choke graydude 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 3 11-12-2008 06:53 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome