Some more details from the salvage yard. I'm going to say that the head is definitely pooched based on this. Would I still be safe to use the old cams in a new head?
This is the response to the question I asked:
the cam holder broke on head side, on exhaust cam, looks like who ever did last valve adjustment did not torque the bolts. the cams do look okay.
Hello 'Willys'. Good to read a posting from you.
I tried to post about this bike back when. Had it all typed out, previewed, ready to submit, hit the 'Submit' button and fizzelled-out! Dang it. Went home.
I'll guess the PO broke the 'guide channel' off of the LH exhaust bearing cap. If all the pieces are still there, have it welded back together. If the outer flange is missing, have a machinist weld it up and mill a guide back into it. The guide does not have to be perfect, doesn't even have to be very strong. But it does need to be there!
If some bonehead thru the broken parts away, purchase 2 or 3 caps ONLY, off of E-bay. Chances are 1 will fit the dowel pins and have 'enough' clearance. Check the clearance with 3 strips of "Plastigage" all at once. Position them at 10,12 and 2 o'clock.
Minimum clearance at any position, .030mm or about .0012 inches. Maximum clearance at any position, .15mm, yes that is correct .006 inches. Yea, that is a little sloppy, it is a KLR after all!
All the cam journal loading is "UP", and only when the valves are open.
But maybe the bike or part of its parts are already 'Gone'! Sorry!