1990 KLR Tengai Resto-mod.... Maybe - Page 11 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Other KLR's - 250, 600, Tengai, C Models, KLX... Discussion of all the OTHER KLR models.

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Missouri & Colorado
Posts: 15
tengai belly pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger88 View Post
So, after putting a few hours of crack stopping and reinforcing the belly pan/skid plate/rock guard.... I realized that it missing a HUGE SECTION of it. lol! OOOPS Also, It's not going to fit with the engine guards... SO, back to the drawing board.

One: I redo the metal work to extend back further to attach the bottom (Maybe..) I'm going to have to get some aluminium sheet metal and do it right. OR!

Two: Get one of the aftermarket ugly ones... Which would be easier... Which means, I'll probably do that!

Does anyone have any suggestions on skid plates that will work with this weird Double front attachment point?

ALSO, do the 08 and later side fairings fit the older models? THANKS
I'd like crash bars to protect the side fairings on my Tengai but the the Tengai belly pan covers access to the attachment points, as you have discovered. No off-road for me so I'd like to retain the Tengai's cosmetic belly pan. A dilemma for us both.
eamartin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 188
Those look like Dirtracks crashbars? Just going thru same issue. I took off a Hyde Racing skidplate, fitted a Gen 1 SW-Motech skid plate that I modified to work with 'em. I like how it rotates down, pivoting on the forward mounting bolt (making for easy cleaning). I cut the bracket in half, to space the sides further apart to fit around the crash bars (90mm wide). That required drilling a 2nd hole in each bracket half to mount, and I had to reduce the diameter around the (long!) mounting bolt, so it doesn't interfere with the weld radius of that lower diagonal support tube on the forward crashbar mount. Hopefully you can see what I mean in these pics:





A bit of extra work making it fit for sure. These skidplates don't offer as much protection as some others (don't stick up far in the front).



For comparison, here is an unmodified bracket, same skidplate on another Gen 1 I have. Note the larger diameter around the mounting bolt - that will contact the adjacent weld radius on Dirtrack crashbars:


Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 01-31-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added another picture.
GreatWhiteNorth is offline  
post #103 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
ironranger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamartin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger88 View Post
So, after putting a few hours of crack stopping and reinforcing the belly pan/skid plate/rock guard.... I realized that it missing a HUGE SECTION of it. lol! OOOPS Also, It's not going to fit with the engine guards... SO, back to the drawing board.

One: I redo the metal work to extend back further to attach the bottom (Maybe..) I'm going to have to get some aluminium sheet metal and do it right. OR!

Two: Get one of the aftermarket ugly ones... Which would be easier... Which means, I'll probably do that!

Does anyone have any suggestions on skid plates that will work with this weird Double front attachment point?

ALSO, do the 08 and later side fairings fit the older models? THANKS
I'd like crash bars to protect the side fairings on my Tengai but the the Tengai belly pan covers access to the attachment points, as you have discovered. No off-road for me so I'd like to retain the Tengai's cosmetic belly pan. A dilemma for us both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Those look like Dirtracks crashbars? Just going thru same issue. I took off a Hyde Racing skidplate, fitted a Gen 1 SW-Motech skid plate that I modified to work with 'em. I like how it rotates down, pivoting on the forward mounting bolt (making for easy cleaning). I cut the bracket in half, to space the sides further apart to fit around the crash bars (90mm wide). That required drilling a 2nd hole in each bracket half to mount, and I had to reduce the diameter around the (long!) mounting bolt, so it doesn't interfere with the weld radius of that lower diagonal support tube on the forward crashbar mount. Hopefully you can see what I mean in these pics:


A bit of extra work making it fit for sure. These skidplates don't offer as much protection as some others (don't stick up far in the front).


For comparison, here is an unmodified bracket, same skidplate on another Gen 1 I have. Note the larger diameter around the mounting bolt - that will contact the adjacent weld radius on Dirtrack crashbars:
Nice, I'm not sure, but yes, they are dirtracks, so.. think I'm just going to keep it naked for now. Really good fab work man, it looks like it was meant to be that way! I'll def reference this when I do my own.


If I really decided to do some off roading, ill have to revisit. I really do like the plastic, it looks great, but It sure doesn't look like it does any protection. I agree. Good thing mine is garbage anyways!! lol I'll tool around and see what I come up with. When I actually decide to invest in a welder, I'll probably end up fabbing an aluminium version for myself. what a pain!!! I love it.

Last edited by ironranger88; 01-31-2020 at 10:30 AM.
ironranger88 is offline  
 
post #104 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
ironranger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 109
Repainted the exhaust this week and bought the wrong front pipe guard by mistake. Actually turned out to be a happy little accident, becuase after some headache of herry rigging it to fit with local hardware store rubber and spacers, it actually looks ok.

Woke up this morning to a good oil leak after putting a new o ring and real on the front sprocket shaft. Sad day, but after investigating , it looks like it's actually leaking from this little rubber thingy here. Going to have to see what it takes to replace that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200131_085011_1580486085018.jpg (244.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200131_084520_1580486099702.jpg (206.9 KB, 9 views)
ironranger88 is offline  
post #105 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
ironranger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 109
Wait a minute... It's not "leaking" it looks like it's supposed to seap from that seal.. what is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200131_084520_1580486099702.jpg (206.9 KB, 5 views)
ironranger88 is offline  
post #106 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 6,200
The O-ring on the doo-hickey adjuster locking bolt has failed. LH cover will have to be removed to replace that o-ring.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #107 of 108 Old 01-31-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
ironranger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
The O-ring on the doo-hickey adjuster locking bolt has failed. LH cover will have to be removed to replace that o-ring.
NO KIDDING! Hooray easy fixes! I've got one ordered and am happy that's all.(cause I couldn't find the plastic thing) thanks for the quick reply.

I love this bike. Just took it on a 30 min ride through a wash in Phoenix. What a fun morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200131_093112_1580488632528.jpg (318.0 KB, 10 views)
ironranger88 is offline  
post #108 of 108 Old 02-03-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
ironranger88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 109
While I wait for the doohicky o ring to come, i got a few other things done! I installed a 240V/50amp outlet in the garage for MY NEW WELDER! Horray protects! NO, it's nothing special.. I went with a Harbor Frieght Titanium mig 170 (becuase you cant beat them for the price) especially used for $200... seriously, that's a steal for what I need it for. (Really small projects)

I was able to weld up my blinker bracket! Everywhere I brought it, they wanted $75 min to $100 to repair that thing. What a croc. Its definitely good enough. Got the rear blinkers mounted up (still working on fronts)
Found the rear caliper shark fins from a gentleman in Virginia (on eBay) who sold the pair to me for $40 (little pricey, but their hard to find without paying $150 shipping from GER). THEY LOOK GREAT!
Got my clutch cable in from Latvia with some wonderful post cards they sent! EBayers can be nice some times..

And finally the rubber mount for the front fairing came in from Taiwan! I dont know why it was a hard part to find, but apparently they sent me two! So if anyone else needs one, it's in Phoenix.


Anyone know of an idea for the rubber mounts for the wond screen or something I can use to dampen the vibrations in it? Its very vibratey.... (oh, previous owner drilled special holes to jerry rig the front, so it's got lots of speed/wind resistance holes in the front) haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200203_130522_1580780315580.jpg (278.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200203_130604_1580781216714.jpg (154.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200203_173408_1580781241965.jpg (316.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200203_172917_1580781317223.jpg (231.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200203_172900_1580781352546.jpg (252.6 KB, 10 views)
ironranger88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome