Napa/Sonoma Valley Wine Thing - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Southwest Riders Covering - Arizona - California - New Mexico - Nevada

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 106
Napa/Sonoma Valley Wine Thing

Hey guys,

I know there are at least a couple guys from napa here... klrzin being one of them

Anyway, I got the lady flying into town next week and I was looking at taking her to Napa valley on the 1st of Oct. Anyone willing to help out with a good winery to go to that is on the "cheaper" and can give tours? Also looking for a friendly environment - not looking for a guided tour that people pay for, but rather some owner somewhere that would be willing to just show us around.

Thanks in advance!
XxHazexX3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
1st Gear
 
bricaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maple Valley, Wa
Posts: 95
Not sure about the tour, but the Ravenswood winery has a great patio to sit outside and overlook the vineyards. Also like Buena Vista Comaeros on the NE side of Sonoma

hope this helps

_____________________
'09 KLR, '17 KTM 1090r, '82 Honda ATC200E Big Red, '83 Suzuki FA50 (drift boat shuttle)
bricaud is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 106
thanks bicaud,

She is actually coming down from the standwood/camano part of WA, about an hour north of you. I noticed your from seattle.
XxHazexX3 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear
 
KLR-zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 338
Haze,
You might want to consider coming over the hill to Northern Sonoma rather than the Napa Valley. Less crowded, more scenic driving, much more affordable and- sorry Napa, way more friendly and casual. Be advised that crush season is starting now and is very late; it has been a tough season and people might be less willing with tours & such as tensions are high.
Even better, you might consider highway 128/Mendocino area. Lots of quiet uncrowded wineries with great atmosphere. Breweries for later. Lazy Creek, Navarro, Goldeneye (Goldeneye's not cheap- but great), and lots of others. There is also Roederer (champagne), you can't go wrong with that on a date. Great views & bubbles.

Let me know if you have any particular wine interests and I will send you some recommendations.
Check this site out: www.wineroad.com Maps and details for all wineries.

If you Napa is definite, I recommend Robert Sinskey, Signorello, Schramsberg, Darioush, and reconsidering Sonoma.
End the day at Domaine Carnerors- bubbly with kiler views. All Napa wineries will charge $15+ for a tasting and not have time to talk with you.

PPMC #4
KLR-zin is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
4th Gear
 
Mark B (4)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR-zin View Post
All Napa wineries will charge $15+ for a tasting and not have time to talk with you.
That's the truth!

West Dry Creek has some great little wineries too, Bella Wine Caves is a great place for a date. Dry Creek too. But my two fav's are still Segeshio, and Clos Du Bois.

My two cents...

MB4

PPMC # 3

Yo! To the brothers.

RIP Darin, Ben, Carey


"I am the muffin man"
Mark B (4) is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR-zin View Post
Haze,
You might want to consider coming over the hill to Northern Sonoma rather than the Napa Valley. Less crowded, more scenic driving, much more affordable and- sorry Napa, way more friendly and casual. Be advised that crush season is starting now and is very late; it has been a tough season and people might be less willing with tours & such as tensions are high.
Even better, you might consider highway 128/Mendocino area. Lots of quiet uncrowded wineries with great atmosphere. Breweries for later. Lazy Creek, Navarro, Goldeneye (Goldeneye's not cheap- but great), and lots of others. There is also Roederer (champagne), you can't go wrong with that on a date. Great views & bubbles.

Let me know if you have any particular wine interests and I will send you some recommendations.
Check this site out: www.wineroad.com Maps and details for all wineries.

If you Napa is definite, I recommend Robert Sinskey, Signorello, Schramsberg, Darioush, and reconsidering Sonoma.
End the day at Domaine Carnerors- bubbly with kiler views. All Napa wineries will charge $15+ for a tasting and not have time to talk with you.
Oh thank you thank you! I would much rather go to Sonoma as I dislike Napa, but its generally all in the same area. My grandma has a place that is empty right now in Manchester and I have taken 128 out of boonville a couples times

Both the lady and I tend to like the Pinot's.

Thanks for the info though!
XxHazexX3 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear
 
KLR-zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 338
Haze,
I am not knocoking Napa and I hope it doesn't sound as such. Iit will just be crowded and costly. There is a reason that it is a very famous wine region.
If you are a Pinot Noir fan, you want to be in the Carneros area of Napa. Saintsbury and Artesa are both good. Another one is A bit up the vally is Schramsberg- sparkling wine and cabernet. I am sure that they charge for their tour, but is is the best that I have ever been on.
Another bubbly producer in the Carneros area is Domaine Carneros. Again, great date stop. www.domainecarneros.com
Patz and Hall make incredible pinot, but not cheap. They do a sit down tasting in a sort of industrial park area in southern Napa. But, if you're going just for the wine, it is very well made. www.patzhall.com
Another "fun"?? tour/tasting is Del Dotto. Dave DelDotto made lots of money in the 70's & 80's pioneering infomercial marketing. Now he has big wineries. It is crazy- beyond Disneyland- but you get to taste lots of types of wine from different types of oak barrels. It is interesting as you'd swear that the diferences between barrels wouldn't be so great. If you stop here, make sure you don't drink everything they pour- you won't be able to drive away.

If you decide to head over the hill to Sonoma or Anderson Valley, I have some great pinot recommendations. Let me know.

PPMC #4
KLR-zin is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR-zin View Post
Haze,
I am not knocoking Napa and I hope it doesn't sound as such. Iit will just be crowded and costly. There is a reason that it is a very famous wine region.
If you are a Pinot Noir fan, you want to be in the Carneros area of Napa. Saintsbury and Artesa are both good. Another one is A bit up the vally is Schramsberg- sparkling wine and cabernet. I am sure that they charge for their tour, but is is the best that I have ever been on.
Another bubbly producer in the Carneros area is Domaine Carneros. Again, great date stop. www.domainecarneros.com
Patz and Hall make incredible pinot, but not cheap. They do a sit down tasting in a sort of industrial park area in southern Napa. But, if you're going just for the wine, it is very well made. www.patzhall.com
Another "fun"?? tour/tasting is Del Dotto. Dave DelDotto made lots of money in the 70's & 80's pioneering infomercial marketing. Now he has big wineries. It is crazy- beyond Disneyland- but you get to taste lots of types of wine from different types of oak barrels. It is interesting as you'd swear that the diferences between barrels wouldn't be so great. If you stop here, make sure you don't drink everything they pour- you won't be able to drive away.

If you decide to head over the hill to Sonoma or Anderson Valley, I have some great pinot recommendations. Let me know.
Zin you are a master of your domain for sure. Anderson Valley and Sonoma might just be the ticket - I'm looking forward to your suggestions. I spent a lot of time in the foothills up near Jackson and Plymoth and all around those wineries. I liked how laid back and friendly they were. So looking for something of the sorts. Thank again man!
XxHazexX3 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear
 
KLR-zin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 338
Haze,
here you go...

Anderson Valley: Laid back, uncrowded and great pinot noir area.

http://www.avwines.com/avwamap.pdf

1. Londer Vineyards (great pinot)
2. Breggo Cellars (great pinot)
3. Toulouse Vineyards (great pinot/syrah)
4. Navarro Vineyards (great wines- excellent dessert wine)
5. Lazy Creek (small- nice folks- very personable tasting)
6. Goldeneye (not cheap, but great)
6. RoedererEstate (sparkling- a must for the lady)

Sonoma (Russian River area) Best pinot noir area in California
www.wineroad.com

1. Benovia (appt. needed- amazing pinot)
2. Dehlinger ( amazing pinot- very small family winery)
3. Dutton Estate (great wines- family owned)
4. Lynmar- great wines, nice place to picnic-
5. Merry Edwards - great wine- strange tasting experience though
6. Littorai- amazing pinot appt. needed- worth it
7. Iron Horse- bubbly for the lady. Outdoor tasting- great views

Nice meal (in the town of Graton):
Casual but excellent: http://willowwoodgraton.com/ They own the Underwood across the street as well; a bit nicer- good bar.

Expensive: Zazu (excellent food)

Price no object- Farmhouse Inn (expensive- great special occasion meal)

Have Fun!

PPMC #4
KLR-zin is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 106
Dude you rock! Thanks for putting this all together
XxHazexX3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fall color ride Wine country Mark B (4) Travel Log & Trip Reports 6 03-23-2011 07:29 PM
New guy from Sonoma County Woofda Introductions 40 07-24-2010 10:31 PM
Fall color ride Wine country Mark B (4) Upcoming Tech Days & Group Rides 38 11-21-2009 03:03 PM
Wine country ride Mark B (4) Southwest Riders 33 09-10-2008 10:21 PM
Sonoma, Hwy 116/121 Mark B (4) You've been spotted 0 09-10-2008 08:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome