Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

This is my first post ever on this forum. I just recently purchased an ‘05 KLR650 with only 3100 miles on it for the low price of $500 because it doesn’t start. This is my first motorcycle so I figure that the fixing process is going to be a learning experience for me.

My buddy and I already took out the carb and completely cleaned it/reinstalled it. We also removed the gas tank, emptied the 4+ year old gas, and cleaned it out. Additionally, I bought a brand new battery. The bike has been cranking and turning over but it refuses to start. It is at the point where the battery will die after attempting to turn it over multiple times.

The petcock is toast I think, nothing comes out of it when you rotate the dial to any of the three positions. To continue attempting starting without the petcock, i’ve just been gravity feeding the gas through the fuel line. It still seems to flood the carb and subsequently start dripping out onto the ground below.

I’m also under the impression that my front brake master cylinder is bad, my buddy and I replaced the fluid and bled the system to the best of our abilities but the brake handle is still completely soft. Even when squeezed, the caliper does not move/clamp onto the rotor. Any ideas for this one? Are the master cylinder rebuild kits worth my time? Or am I going to have to spend $250 on a brand new one?

Any help/input would be highly appreciated. I’m new to the forum and beyond excited to start hitting the trails here in Tucson, Arizona. If there are any KLR enthusiasts in my town that see this, please message me! I would like to meet some people who have experience with these bikes or might have the parts I need for sale.

Thank you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you remove the carb, remove all jets, emulsion tube, float, etc ultrasonic the parts and blow carb cleaner through each orifice until you got the cleaner in your eyes?

Sounds as if you may have a float needle sticking, or incorrect float height. For shits and giggles...do this...disconnect the fuel line, external or IV style. Drain the float bowl. Spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb, then see if it fires. If it does you know you have a fuel delivery problem and not an electrical one.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Re-charge your battey ASAP, if left severely dis-charged for too long, it will always be weak!

If your fuel valve has a small square box on its back side, it probably needs a 3/16" vacuum hose connected to the top front brass nipple on the carb to suck open the automatic Shut OFF diaphragm.
Before you connect a vacuum hose to the carb, suck on it with your lips or an empty Visine bottle to confirm fuel can flow thru the Disconnected fuel hose.

But first you need to do a better job of carburetor overhauling. Have you read the Link in this link?

And then watch the videos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you remove the carb, remove all jets, emulsion tube, float, etc ultrasonic the parts and blow carb cleaner through each orifice until you got the cleaner in your eyes?

Sounds as if you may have a float needle sticking, or incorrect float height. For shits and giggles...do this...disconnect the fuel line, external or IV style. Drain the float bowl. Spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb, then see if it fires. If it does you know you have a fuel delivery problem and not an electrical one.
But first you need to do a better job of carburetor overhauling. Have you read the Link in this link?

And then watch the videos.
Sorry for the late response. I took the carb off again and replaced all the jets. My issue was definitely the pilot jet, I forgot to take it out and clean it since I originally wasn't able to find a flathead screwdriver with a small enough diameter to go all the way down the hole. I ended up just replacing all the jets. Now she runs well. Originally, it was running pretty rich so I messed with the air screw, that seemed to help out a lot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts