Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
just bought a 2018 KLR camo for the Washington BDR ride that I’m going to be doing in two weeks. Still need:
A lot of advice on riding in the backcountry This is my first dual sport but I’ve had 9 other bikes

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
First Dual-Sport / Dual-Purpose / Adventure Bike?
PURCHASE Front & Rear CRASH GUARDS / Luggage mounts. You will Tip-Over many times, hopefully at only .5 mph.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do not know the nature of the washington bdr ride, but if Paul is indicating falls on the ride, the first thing I would do is a better off road front tire. even the morning dew on the trail can get greasy and the OEM dunlop is a highway tire imho

beautiful bike!! line6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the tusks. Thank you for the idea on the hand guards. Noticed a small leak today (only 100 miles) on this today. Will be taking it to the dealer this weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Moose - is this leaking coming out the bottom of the airbox?? not telling you what to do, but fussing with a dealer on this might not be worth it. Have you opened up the airbox to see if there is something obviously oily - like a freshly re oiled airfilter (done that) . just an idea, keep us posted. line6distortion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LIne6-
I have not, thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look at that. It does appear that it is comign from that box and it was lightly dripping "fresh" oil. I will wipe it off and see if it is still leaking and open that up. Thank You.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It will give you a chance to check the condition / cleanliness of the air filter. It should be oily, and I know I have had it drip after I serviced mine with a cleaning, drying, and fresh oil.

line6distortion

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
It might just be air filter oil. When the air filter is freshly oiled, excess oil drips out of the airbox. You can see the ports where the oil comes out if you look up at the bottom of the airbox on the exhaust side of the bike.

There are actually two ports where oil should 'vent' from the airbox. One is a long clear tube with a plug at the end. This tube should be snaking from the airbox all the way down under the bike, where its plug should be hanging in the end of the tube, collecting oil. This tube is plugged because it's important to avoid getting dust sucked in through this tube. Sometimes this tube will develop a melted spot from the heat of the exhaust. If this happens you should replace the tube. The other port is a nib that just sits up under the airbox and drips oil down all over. If the oil in your pics is from the airbox, it's likely from either this nib or a melted tube.

The long tube is connected to the airbox on its "clean" side (on the engine side of the filter); the short nib is connected on the dirty side (behind the filter). Typically when the nib leaks, oil falls down on the rear fender near where you see the battery vent tube passing through the fender in your pic above. Then the oil drips from the fender all over everything else under it. When this happens on my bike, the pattern I see is somewhat different from what I'm seeing on yours (the oil in your pics is more on the sides and higher on the bike than oil appears after I service my filter), so perhaps this is it, perhaps not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Samuel, I agree and Moose, if it were me I wouldnt spend a nickel at the dealership until you investigate your air box and filter. One phillips head on the right side opens the door. right side panel must be removed as well - 2 more fasteners.

take your flash light and explore that air box. wont cost a dime and maybe half a can of beer. line6

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ditto the other comments, unless you like paying a mechanic $100/hr for just seeing where the oil is coming from. Or, just clean off the drip, ride it and see if it drips more or stops. That won’t even require a screwdriver, much less a half can of beer.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I purchased the tusks. Thank you for the idea on the hand guards. Noticed a small leak today (only 100 miles) on this today. Will be taking it to the dealer this weekend. View attachment 26502 View attachment 26503 View attachment 26504 View attachment 26505
Moosepilot,
Be thankful that the dealership took the time to re-oil the foam air filter (like they are all supposed to), prior to your purchase.
Foam air filters must be oiled to STOP the dust from infiltrating your engine. I will agree that they may have Over-oiled it, but the factory can be pretty stingey with air filter oil & suspension bearing pivot grease.
It can be quite normal for the rearward nipple under the dirty side of the air box to drip on the inner rear fender, then drip on the swingarm and even drool clear back to the rear axle and have new owners ask "Why are my rear wheel bearings leaking oil?" I have read statements like this several times.

Sorry that the shop dripped a bit on the RH passenger peg bracket, which confuses the issue.

We need to put enough oil into the foam to squeeze it thoroughly thru every pore. We need to be able to at least squeeze a few drips back out between our fingers. If we use the stickey foam air filter oil it is less prone to bleed out.

Reactions: dallas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Moose great advice from these guys (as usual). I’ve ridden the WBDR and you definitely need oil in your air filter. You’re gonna see plenty of dust this time of year. Congrats on the new ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts