Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't pinpoint the source of the noise, at first I thought there was an issue with the electrical/gauges until I hit highway speeds and it was louder than the wind. Sounds like an intermittent chafing of metal pieces. But only when the bike is being fed throttle, and ruled out the possibility of rotors. Any ideas? Attaching a video.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can't pinpoint the source of the noise, at first I thought there was an issue with the electrical/gauges until I hit highway speeds and it was louder than the wind. Sounds like an intermittent chafing of metal pieces. But only when the bike is being fed throttle, and ruled out the possibility of rotors. Any ideas?
Check your chain and sprockets. Hard to tell with the wind noise, but sounds like badly worn chain and rear sprocket. Chain trying to climb over hooked sprocket teeth under accel.
When you get to noise speed, pull in the clutch, let off throttle. If you have same type of noise during decel, then it's likely.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Looking at the last few seconds of video, of drive chain. Your drive chain may be adjusted TOO snugly.

The lower chain run NEEDS to be Loose Enough to be able to be lifted UP and just gently touch the rear underside tip of the rubber chain slider on the swingarm.
If it can't touch the rubber, its TOO tight!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts