Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my KLR650 for a couple of weeks now and am learning more about them. This is my first motorcycle and I am new to riding.

I’m currently concerned about how rich the exhaust smells, and at idle there is a slight tint of black smoke, not blue like oil burning.

I’ve been looking up how to adjust air/fuel mixture on the carb, and seeing mixed instructions. I also would like to rebuild it at some point, but also realllllly want be able to ride it as much as possible this year. It is a higher mileage KLR, with 33,000 on the Odometer. It also has an aftermarket exhaust.

I guess while I’m here and that being said, what other kind of maintenance procedures would you recommend looking into? It’s in really solid shape, and still runs great other than being rich.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,471 Posts
The only reason it would run rich has to do with the carburetor. Either it needs cleaning, or someone previously fiddled with it, changed the jets, didn’t put it back together right, etc.

The CVK carbs are not hard to work on. The hardest part is getting them out of the bike. There are plenty of threads here on how to do that.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
This is my first motorcycle and I am new to riding.

I’m currently concerned about how rich the exhaust smells, and at idle there is a slight tint of black smoke, not blue like oil burning.
Are you pushing the cold start lever fully OFF towards the key (OEM lever Under the oem control pod.)?
Is there a little slack in its cable?

I'll suggest that you should ride it for a few tankfuls of fuel and then report your fuel mileage & overall throttle response.

With 33,000 miles on the meter and you a NEW owner/rider, I have my doubts that there is any 'real problem'.

Have you read this yet? DPelletier's common new KLR owner mistakes to avoid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts