Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys,
lovin my new to me klr 650 08 with the slip on jardine exaust, dyno jett kit and sargent lowering seat im set!
...not
burning oil like I bought a 20 year old bike F (situation normal;)
sooo now Im reading and learning about sinthic oil and 685 pistons...im always up for more power but my wife says its time to spend money in a different direction, so if oil or mechanic in a can is a viable short term solution Id love to know...any sticky 685 threads?
thanks for your time Tom and every one else
jeff
P.S I still wouldent be happier riding anything else

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Lots of good info on the 685...Tom did a good write up. I rode Tom's. Smooths things out a lot, too. Unfortunately, mine is currently addicted to Rotella. When money is no longer as much of an issue, I'm going to look long and hard at the 685 kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Used Kawasaki oil and it burned it! Now on rotella and so far no burn major burn... All you can do is try different oil... This forum has alot experienced riders that can help with all your questions! Just ask...

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 09 burns oil.The faster i go the more it burns.I am going to fix it,when i strip it,for the new gearbox.The thing is it only costs me about $10 in oil,to ride 1000klm above 5000revs.To me that's cheap fun.I like your attitude to it Jeff, makes a pleasent change from the other site.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
well guys,
lovin my new to me klr 650 08 with the slip on jardine exaust, dyno jett kit and sargent lowering seat im set!
...not
burning oil like I bought a 20 year old bike F (situation normal;)
sooo now Im reading and learning about sinthic oil and 685 pistons...im always up for more power but my wife says its time to spend money in a different direction, so if oil or mechanic in a can is a viable short term solution Id love to know...any sticky 685 threads?
thanks for your time Tom and every one else
jeff
P.S I still wouldent be happier riding anything else

Money... in about 40k miles I've burned about 3 gallons of oil in my 08. So that's about $30 of Rotella T out the exhaust. It's annoying but cheap. I would do the 685 kit if I had the money I guess but I'm still ticked at Kawasaki for not admitting to the problem.

I've sworn off buying any new bike from them, yea that will hurt 'em! :26:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
How do you guys know you're burning? I mean I believe you but in ____ miles you're having to add ____ amount of oil. Or how far down on the sight glass does it go in ____ miles.
Did your bikes always burn oil or did it start after, say 10k or something?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
How do you guys know you're burning? I mean I believe you but in ____ miles you're having to add ____ amount of oil. Or how far down on the sight glass does it go in ____ miles.
Did your bikes always burn oil or did it start after, say 10k or something?
I'm not a number guy, but a few hundred miles at 5K rpm and there is maybe a quarter inch showing at the top of the sight glass. This last trip (1Kish) miles, I probably used 1/2-3/4 of a quart. It started getting bad at 10K miles.

It's bad enough that I check it pretty much every other time I stop on a long trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why are you running the engine so fast? Change to a 17 tooth sprocket and see the rpm go down about 1000 rpm, no oil burn...
If you want to climb hills, then use the 14 tooth gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the great input guys, this form makes haven' a new bike an even more awsomer experence.
if anyone knows where to get rotilla 10w 40 in sutheren ont. lmn:) I'll be more on it this weekend, I'm sure way more cost effective than $16 synthic. the 685 is reason to keep dreamin. mabe one positive to come out of next winter.
jeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You should be able to get Rotella at any auto parts store. Some gas stations although I always go to Kragen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts