Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to upgrade with eagle mikes doo hickey. After 15000 miles there was absolutely no tension on spring. The problem I noticed was that after the new spring was installed ,there was only about. 005 of an inch between the balancer chain and housing at the bottom of idler gear.It was the same with either spring. Has anyone run into this?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Donavon,
Hang onto that thought.. I'm going to page Eagle Mike to have him answer it. He's got more experience than anyone else I know on the matter..

The one thing to remember is that if the chain is tight, the spring can't make the distance any less. It could be a casting or machining issue from Kawasaki??

·
Registered
103 Posts
This isn't too unusual. Since the chain has been running with slack for a while, there has been more wear on the chain and sprockets than there would be with a properly tensioned system.

There's a couple of ways to address this. One is to do nothing. Eventually the chain will hit the case in this area (the bolt boss cast into the case). Just let it wear in and let the filter catch the aluminum. The amount would be quite small. You could also clearance the case a bit. Remove the idler sprocket, shaft, bearing, washers, stuff the hole in the case with paper towel. Mask the area like a dentist doing a root canal. Use a very sharp chisel and CAREFULLY remove material. Some have used a dremel, but this creates enough dust it's hard to catch it all, and takes about 3 oil changes to flush all the aluminum. The "let it wear" method puts less aluminum into the oil.

You could also get a new/better condition used chain and sprockets from eBay or the dealer. Measure the chain according to the specification in the manual - the spec is found in the top end section of the older manual and I think the same place in the new manual, adjacent the cam chain spec. In my experience changing the sprockets will get it back to normal - but measure the current balancer chain to be sure. The chain is expensive new, the sprockets slightly less.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input! I filed enough of the housing to give it about .030of an inch and it worked like a champ.Believe it or not,the engine does sound more quite.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I changed my doohickey on my '09 there was no tension left in that spring and it only had about 3k miles. I couldn't believe it. I installed the torsion spring with my new doohickey and it sounded like someone had pushed the mute button when I fired the engine up. Unbelievable how much quiter it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts