Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding near the Steens Mountains in SE Oregon this last November looking for a 1944 B-24 crash site, my bike starting making a horrible clacking sound. It was like it had turned into a locomotive with a dinged wheel. There was no smoke or loss of power. I pitched over in a snow filled rut and it wouldn't start. 4 miles out is a long way to push.
Long story short, I "lerned" that just because you see oil when you tip the bike doesn't mean it's full. When I figure out how to post pix I will. Anybody got a lead on a new head?

Cheers!

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Ouch! You mean you were tipping the bike toward you to check the oil? Your supposed to hold it as level as possible and then check the site glass for the level. The level should be at the top of the glass.

You might find you need some additional stuff besides the head...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
KF, I agree with 650stew, if you had to tip it towards you to see oil in the sightglass, you'll be needing more than a head...

Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after removing the head which has some grooves that I'm pretty sure are to spec;) I looked at the cylinder walls which are factory smooth. There was no chunks in the drained oil and the piston shape is pristine. I'm going to wager that it's just the head and exhaust cam. btw When I did notice the oil low it took 2 qts to fill...I can only shake my head at my own lack of diligence on this one.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Guess you can chalk this one up to lesson learned the hard/expensive way. Pretty sure you won't let it happen again. Give yourself a verbal spanking and move on!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Go easy on yourself. Shit has been hectic lately and I forgot to check my oil. It got way lower than I like. :character00271:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts