Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08, oil burning isn't an issue even though I'm running 5w30 synthetic. I'Il add maybe a cup per 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'm going to use 0w20 next time, and put in a 138 dynojet. Maybe 50mpg? I'm 70mph most of the time.
Are you riding in -5C / 20F degree weather, all the time?
I will urge you to NOT use 0W20 automotive engine oil in any wet clutch / shared transmission & engine lubrication system.

The transmission gears cause thinning of the engine oil as it is. And the new generation, thin automotive engine oils have super slippery additives which may cause Starter Clutch Slippage & Drive Clutch Slippage.

My advice is to not go thinner than 5W40 and Confirm on the back label that any chosen oil receives the JASO MA / MA2 motorcycle approval.

I also think your main jet choice is at least 2 sizes too small. But it is your bike, do as you wish.

Reactions: roadrash83

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Here's another way to verbalize your plan:

"This summer I'm going to 0W/20 oil in my 327 Chevy, lean the shit out of the mixture, and run it at 5500rpm for hours."

Reactions: roadrash83

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha love the last post. I don't care if this bike lives. My last bike was a gsxr750, thinking of going back to one.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
What year Gixxer?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1995 srad. Motorcycle oil is 12 a quart at advance. Since I work at a shop I get free semi synthetic 5w30 which is what I use. I also don't wear a helmet unless I'm on the interstate, and that's because I can hear my earbuds better, keeps big bugs from kamikaze attacks, also keeps the loose skin on your face from flapping around.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Ride on jr, ride on. Your bike, your way, we can respect that. ;)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Did you consider doing the PCV Valve mod? I heard it reduces oil loss big-time. I did this mod but can't really say if it is working or not being I have so few miles on my bike so far. Mine is a 2012 with about 1,200 miles on it so far. I just got the bike about a year and a half back I didn't ride much due to winter and surgery on my foot right where the gear-shifter sits on my foot. Anyways, I did the mod because I heard these bikes eat oil and I didn't want it to so I did the mod. I have not had to add any oil so far. If you do it, don't use the metal PCV valve, find the plastic one with a Mercedes Benz part number. It has a reed in it than is much faster. If your interested, I'll look up the part number and post it but until then look up the PCV mod and let me know your thoughts about it.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Did you consider doing the PCV Valve mod? I heard it reduces oil loss big-time. I did this mod but can't really say if it is working or not being I have so few miles on my bike so far. Mine is a 2012 with about 1,200 miles on it so far. I just got the bike about a year and a half back I didn't ride much due to winter and surgery on my foot right where the gear-shifter sits on my foot. Anyways, I did the mod because I heard these bikes eat oil and I didn't want it to so I did the mod. I have not had to add any oil so far. If you do it, don't use the metal PCV valve, find the plastic one with a Mercedes Benz part number. It has a reed in it than is much faster. If your interested, I'll look up the part number and post it but until then look up the PCV mod and let me know your thoughts about it.
Thank you, for your well-intentioned suggestion, James1967! And . . . nothing to put you down, but . . . thanks for the, "source of innocent merriment" your post provides!

I'm reminded of the opening credits to the TV show, "Fantasy Island" (q.v. on Google, for video) where a little man in a white suit on a tower cried out words to the effect: "Look boss! Da plane! Da plane!" (An indication of the arrival of one or more fantasy-driven guests.)

Recommended reading: https://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/25618-dissertation-ventilation.html

Some OPINION (vs. FACT) follows:

As to the Mercedes-Benz part, in contrast to the garden-variety automotive PCV valve . . . the upgraded part permits accomplishment of a meaningless act (PCV valve mod) with more efficiency! (Just as a footnote; a typical automotive PCV valve modulates its orifice size inversely with vacuum, I think--the hole gets smaller as vacuum (negative pressure differential) increases; the Mercedes-Benz part, I think, responds without modulation.)

This skepticism aside, if you're convinced your oil consumption is reduced by installing a check-valve in the crankcase vent line . . . more power to you! I await quantifiable tangible indication of the phenomenon (lower oil consumption with the PCV mod), but . . . haven't encountered any, yet.

===========================

CAUTION: Likely irrelevant anecdote follows; avert your eyes, if offended by same!

First, I respect Normk's knowledge and experience. Not that we had no disagreements. One, pertinent to the subject of PCV valves: I asserted, one function of a PCV VALVE on a PCV system-equipped engine is: preventing a flame front from an intake backfire from entering the sump, where flammable hydrocarbons and aerosols might threaten an explosion over-pressure in the crankcase. Normk said he never heard of such a thing, and thus rejected the concept entirely.

Some Google-fu disclosed conventional wisdom corroborating my postulation; I shared the information in a post; heard no more from Normk on the specific and limited subject.

As to crankcase explosion . . . had a 1962 Dodge 318-equipped convertible (Louisiana version, NOT under California regulations at the time); Hard time starting on a rainy, rainy day; much starter grinding, then . . . BOOM! A crankcase explosion drove the oil filler cap/breather from a valve cover into the hood, from underneath, leaving a small convex (from the outside) dent in the hood. Fortunately, no seals were blown by the over-pressure consequent to the explosion; only slight cosmetic damage its consequence.

Now, this story only illustrates crankcase explosion; NOT a confirmation of a PCV valve preventing one (car had only a dump tube; no PCV system). Just sayin', crankcase explosions CAN happen, your car's PCV valve prevents such an occurrence from an intake backfire.

-------------------------------------------

CONTEXT: A check-valve in a KLR's crankcase vent line does NOT comprise a PCV system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok u guys win, burned more oil with the 5w30 and clutched grabbed really bad due to being low on oil.20w50 syn motorcycle oil going in and I'll report gas mileage in a week

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Ok u guys win, burned more oil with the 5w30 and clutched grabbed really bad due to being low on oil.20w50 syn motorcycle oil going in and I'll report gas mileage in a week
I am actually more concerned about your cylinder head & exhaust camshaft bearings if you are burning excessive amounts of engine oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1995 srad. Motorcycle oil is 12 a quart at advance. Since I work at a shop I get free semi synthetic 5w30 which is what I use. I also don't wear a helmet unless I'm on the interstate, and that's because I can hear my earbuds better, keeps big bugs from kamikaze attacks, also keeps the loose skin on your face from flapping around.
With regard to helmets I believe in free will and Darwin's law but I'd like to share with you one big reason why I have always worn a helmet on the street and dirt, slow or fast. I took my motorcycle licence test in 1972 at the State Police barracks in Essex Junction Vermont on my 1969 BSA 441 Victor. As the trooper was assembling us all to take turns driving through the pylon course he asked us to dismount and form a circle around him. He then reached into a paper bag and produced a fresh melon and told us all that the melon was a close approximation of the consistency and strength of a human skull, at which point he held it out at shoulder height and dropped it on the tarmac and we watched it splatter. He simply said "There are old riders and bold riders but there are no old bold riders. Wear your damn helmet!" That was 47 years ago, many motorcycles and tens of thousands of miles ridden. I have never and will never ride without a helmet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm an organ donor, so if I die I can save the lives of 8 others. Surviving an accident only being paralyzed by the severe whiplash that helmet contribute to, and a burden on others. But if I die I can't donate plasma, which is worse because I have type o negative blood,which is used to make the immune globulin. It is used to prevent the deaths of the fetus due to incompatible rh blood type.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm an organ donor, so if I die I can save the lives of 8 others. Surviving an accident only being paralyzed by the severe whiplash that helmet contribute to, and a burden on others. But if I die I can't donate plasma, which is worse because I have type o negative blood,which is used to make the immune globulin. It is used to prevent the deaths of the fetus due to incompatible rh blood type.
Like I said I believe in free will and Darwin's law so you can ride naked for all I care. I do know that I've been down a couple times off road and on and was damn glad I had my helmet on each time. Years ago at a track day at Laconia NH I low sided going into a corner too hot and split my Shoei RF800 almost in half. I didn't even realize I hit my head until I dusted off and went to take my helmet off. I had a minor concussion and tore up my leathers but was in pretty good shape otherwise. Helmets save lives period.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Surviving an accident only being paralyzed by the severe whiplash that helmet contribute to, and a burden on others.
The "Hurt Report," a scientific analysis of hundreds of motorcycle accidents (Googleable), concludes helmet wear does NOT exacerbate head injuries.

YMMV! :)

What is the current donor fee for a pint of Type O blood?

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I don't care much about what anyone else does (well, I care a little because of it's affect on insurance rates and medical expenses, but....) I've crashed literally hundreds of times in my 40+ years of offroad riding and racing and I know I'd be dead without my helmet. The "Surviving an accident only being paralyzed by the severe whiplash that helmet contribute to" is mostly bunk that people who want to ride without helmets tell themselves so they feel better about their decision.

ride on.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
The "Hurt Report," a scientific analysis of hundreds of motorcycle accidents (Googleable), concludes helmet wear does NOT exacerbate head injuries.

shhhh! ...that's what people who don't want to wear a helmet tell themselves so they feel better about their choice. Next you'll be saying that loud pipes don't save lives! :grin2:>:)

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Four things keep me sporting a full-face (albeit modular) helmet with visor down at higher speeds, even behind a fairly-effective Givi Airflow windshield and wearing glasses to boot:

1. Large insects. Particularly dragonflies.
2. Birds Had more than one make it past the windshield into my face, once when my visor was up, leaving me with a black eye for a week.
3. Rocks off those "Keep Back 300 Feet-Not Responsible For Damage" dump trucks with some piece of shit driver who didn't bother using his broom before hitting the road.
4. Rain. In my experience, that stuff stings badly at highway speeds.

·
Registered
388 Posts

shhhh! ...that's what people who don't want to wear a helmet tell themselves so they feel better about their choice.
Dave
I think you've misread Damocles response. He's saying that wearing a helmet does NOT exacerbate (worsen) head injuries.

I've smacked my head on the concrete twice from road bicycle accidents and cracked my helmet both times. I will not be without a helmet on a bicycle or motorcycle even if I'm just going for a test-ride around the block.

Jason

1 - 20 of 31 Posts