Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up, sorry to post this if it was already up but i'm new here (and new to the dual sport world) but i had a few questions. i have a 2008 klr650 with no mods, straight stock, and its been back firing. I looked at the back plastics and there is a little black soot build up (from the backfire I assume) it only pops at about 5-6000 rpms but it is incredibly annoying. Being as it has a carb, I assume its the "pilot screw" or air screw or whatever. Now, my question is how do I locate it on the carb, what should i do to adjust it (I've heard anywhere from 2-4 full turns and anywhere in between) and does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the carb so I can strip it and clean out any carbon? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Only at 5-6k rpm? Replace your plug, it could be fouled. If that doesn't help, check your wires and could-plus any connections along the way.

Also, when were the valves last checked? How many miles on the bike so far? Any mods?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its got 15k on it now, no mods, and we changed the plug and oil about 1000 miles ago. The spark plug was 100% fine not burnt up or anything which leads me to believe the whole air screw problem is the culprit

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
whats up, sorry to post this if it was already up but i'm new here (and new to the dual sport world) but i had a few questions. i have a 2008 klr650 with no mods, straight stock, and its been back firing. I looked at the back plastics and there is a little black soot build up (from the backfire I assume) it only pops at about 5-6000 rpms but it is incredibly annoying. Being as it has a carb, I assume its the "pilot screw" or air screw or whatever. Now, my question is how do I locate it on the carb, what should i do to adjust it (I've heard anywhere from 2-4 full turns and anywhere in between) and does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the carb so I can strip it and clean out any carbon? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

You should check the exhaust connections first, header to cylinder and header to muffler. An air leak gets sucked back into the combustion chamber and will cause popping.

The air screw adjustment is part of the .22 mod info here. Might as well do the rest of the mod while you're in there. There won't be carbon inside the carb. The carb is simple, easy to take apart and put back together. Keep track of what goes where.

If you haven't checked the valves then yea there way past due and more than likely past minimum specs. Has it been getting harder to start?

Soot on the exhaust? Burning oil probably, they do that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts