Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think we should allow them..
I don't own an 08', so they must be evil..

Long live the old model!!!:50:

(Yes, I'm kidding) I feel like an idiot because I don't have a clue when it comes to the new model. I've never even seen one up close.. :character00271:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well Paper, I have checked them out--matter of fact a blue one and a red one-sat on them and checked them out ----I am also guilty of sitting on a new Versys (red one) last Monday:ashamed0005:
Bottom line is I am not giving up my Older model KLR ---the new KLR s are nice and the Versys is way sharp but my strom has way more bells and whistles for less money so I am keeping it too. Just keep repeating "NEW ISN"T ALWAYS BETTER" it will make you feel better:)

that Versys was really cool though!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Paper, I have checked them out--matter of fact a blue one and a red one-sat on them and checked them out ----I am also guilty of sitting on a new Versys (red one) last Monday:ashamed0005:
Bottom line is I am not giving up my Older model KLR ---the new KLR s are nice and the Versys is way sharp but my strom has way more bells and whistles for less money so I am keeping it too. Just keep repeating "NEW ISN"T ALWAYS BETTER" it will make you feel better:)

that Versys was really cool though!

I met a Green 08' yesteday, just a couple miles from home. Sweet looking bike as it was going down the road, but I like the look of the Versys, too!!

As it stands, once I sell my Strom (and I have a serious guy interested), I'll kick around something else, maybe..

That damned Wing takes up so much garage space, it's not even funny..:mad0235:
It's a wonderful riding bike, though..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Honestly, the 08 KLR is pretty different from the 07, namely because the 08 features a LOT of new stuff, or redesigned parts. the only really similar part is the motor and wheels now. pretty much everything else is in some way different. brakes, forks, swingarm, bodywork, gauges, handlebars even are different. but it looks great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dont really care for the way the headlight is on the versys. IMO that light is ugly as sin. but thats me. nothing a new headlight and some personal touches wont fix.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the green 08's are sharp too Paper....the Versys is really sharp but not for the money--------and thennnnnnnn-there is this
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/31january03varadero.html

my oh my--before long there may be so many choices!!! This is one sharp bike!!!
I dunno.. I opened the page and it just looks like a somewhat stubby version of the bike I have in my garage, for sale..
2005 DL1000 V Strom...:28:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't fully grasp what the purpose of the Versys is. Just another all-around bike that's more street. 90/10 or something. Just another choice for people to have I guess.

And no doubt, that new Honda is pretty darn close to the V-Strom.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't fully grasp what the purpose of the Versys is. Just another all-around bike that's more street. 90/10 or something. Just another choice for people to have I guess.

And no doubt, that new Honda is pretty darn close to the V-Strom.
from what I can tell it looks more like its geared for 95/5. its exactly the same frame and engine as the ninja 650R, just different bodywork and subframe really. oh and inverted forks with taller bars. ugh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Mr. Paper, I have a green '08.

Does the quarter in 10.237 @ 147.2876 mph.

Gets 211 m.p.g.

Carries me, my wife, two weeks worth of clothes, an 873 piece Craftsman tool kit in a Snapon box, our two Rottweilers, and a small frigde with no prob, all while cruising at 80mph. Towing our 22 ft boat. Uphill. Against the wind. Dragging our feet.

And ........ It is made out of bacon!!!

No foolin'!

I wouldn't lie, I'm from Texas!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So... Where are you moving to in CO??
Alamosa, in the San Luis Valley. The locals tell me it never gets over 75 degrees in the summer, and it never freezes in the winter, The ground is so fertile you can throw a broomstick in the yard and have a 20ft oak tree in the morning. They grow taters big as your head and the catfish jump in the pan. I know it's gotta be true, they are all ex-Texans, and as you know, Texans never tell a lie. ;-)

I was gonna buy a place over in Trinidad, but something about being from the 'Sex Change Capital of the World' just didn't appeal to me.

(((((The real truth is Wifey said "ALAMOSA!!! Or we stay in this h377 hole called Houston!!!)))))

When we, (she), finally decided on Alamosa, I started paying attention to traffic and was surprised by the number of bikes in the town; all types of bikes with cruisers being the majority. After we spent a couple of weeks examining the valley and surrounding areas, I made up my mind to ride again. As we explored I noticed many roads that I was hesitant to take our Suburban on and knew there was no way I could take a Harley down them so I started scouring eBay, the papers, Craigs List, etc., for a good ol' enduro bike. One of the old 360's or a 450, Maybe even a Yankee 500 if I could find one. Even though I've been riding all my adult life, the last 30 years have been all Harley, so I knew nothing about "Dual-Sport" bikes until a couple of months ago.
Fortunately, I ran into a bunch of BMW riders at the Alamosa McDonald's and after visiting with another geezer type, he mentioned that for what I wanted to do, I should check out the KLR 650, and here I izz.
So, we are making our second trip Saturday or Sunday. I figure it will probaly take me at least 3 more trips to get moved, then we will be Coloradians, (is that the right term?).
Hope to find another geezer that can steer me right because there is a road on Google Maps that shows a back way into Westcliffe from the valley that is a short cut to the bank.
And I am bringing BACON!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Alamosa puts you within an hour of some of the very best motorcycle roads in the nation, and within a couple hours of some of the best dual sporting roads in the nation..

Just keep thinking Silverton..:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
well i do have a green '08 KLR and i can tell you

this: since i never rode any other KLR, I have nothing to compare it to except my Honda ST1100 ( an incomparable bike...)
Ok, so I rode it 60 miles home on a cold day, a total stranger to it. and here is how it went.
Not as much wind protection for hands/arms as I am used to,but hey, not bad. I'm putting my heated grip wraps on it asap.
Cold air seemed to be funnelled on crotch (?) Is it coming in under the seat? will tank panniers help?
Tall windshield/ full face helmet/earplugs ( always) = fairly quiet.( quieter than behind stock shield on ST!!)
Acceleration completely adequate for Montana town traffic lights. i don't know about an LA freeway ramp...
and what's this??? 60MPH++ at 3000 RPM?
and 75MPH is only 4000RPM? is that possible??
I had it up to 80ish, but since it is new I didn't want to flog it.
it zips along and I was able to pass a couple of times. Unlike the ST, which can pass everything....
I then rode it around town awhile to feel out stops,turns,cornering,etc. Handles great-- I'm getting used to the tall seat on stopping. I am 5'10", so it's not too much of a stretch.
Then I took it out to a few miles of straight flat gravel road, just to feel it out.....
um, what? It felt more squirelly than my ST. is it because it is lighter? do I need to go faster on gravel? now am a bit hesitant to try some downhill hairpin turns on gravel.
Advice welcome. ( I know- keep feet on pegs and hand off front brake- is that all?)
thanks. shezonit (def: she is on it)

·
Registered
21 Posts
are you talking to me?

"you ain't rite boy". Huh? I am not a boy, I am a woman. SHEzonit.
Since that last post I have finally gotten thr KLR out on some dit and forest roads and I am loving it. 2nd oil change today at 1050 miles. Some shiny powder and blue flakes in filter-- what is that????

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
More than likely some clutch particles and some bearing surfaces wearing in. You'll have a bit of that for awhile. I finally put a magnetic plug in mine back during the winter lull, and made my first oil change with it last week, and found some black tar looking gunk right on the tip of the magnet. Finally figured out is microscopic pieces of metal that is normal wear that we wouldn't normally see during an oil change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
shiny bits

thanks-- i'll get that magnetic plug.... i've never had a new vehicle before so i'm trying to do it right, ESP since there's all this talk about oil consumption,poor mpg on the new one.....
i'm sure having fun on it so far. maren

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes tank panniers did help

i got those $36. ones from quadgear- VERY nicely made. they do block the wind off legs really well in cold. they have so many pockets maybe i don't need a tank bag. or is a KLR required to have at least one piece of Wolfman on it ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
"you ain't rite boy". Huh? I am not a boy, I am a woman. SHEzonit.
Since that last post I have finally gotten thr KLR out on some dit and forest roads and I am loving it. 2nd oil change today at 1050 miles. Some shiny powder and blue flakes in filter-- what is that????
Sorry bout the boy thing - I was laughing so hard at your post that I just typed the first thing that came to mind. I knew the minute I hit ENTER that I probably shouldnent have done that. Great sense of humor tho. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts