Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve just bought a new 2012 and looking at aftermarket accessories and the like, a lot list as being suited for 08 to 11 models.

I assume any differences between these years and the 2012 are purely cosmetic.

Is this the case?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
186 Posts
hey

should be = for most part..

as i know,here in states.. 87-07 are the same onlt few changes=mostly little in motor stuff..
but yes ,,all main body peices,,are the same...

even thro gen1 87-07 and gen2 08-now,,, a lot can be change around,, tank ,seat, wheels ,forks ,frame , etc can be switched around ... with little work...AND YES.. is some differance,, but can be made to work..

as in europe an other parts of the world,,, has a klr c model, or kle 500...all are about the same bike just little differances here an there,,,BUT with little, home work can get, some/most parts to fit...

good luck,,enjoy ya ride!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome! I'm a newby as well with a 2012 KLR. Lots of stuff out there for add ons. Probably not as easy to get stuff down under but glad to have you hear!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
To my knowledge the 08's to 12's are identical other than the paint jobs. Anything that fit's an 08 will fit your 12 :D

That being said did you pick up the uber cool blacked out one? I love that bike! Almost traded my 08 for one but that would be silly :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That being said did you pick up the uber cool blacked out one? I love that bike! Almost traded my 08 for one but that would be silly :)
Yeah mate, got the blacked one, I thought it looked slick too and with the crash bars and bark busters on now it looks pretty tuff. Just got to suss the muffler out now so it sounds better too.

We have a long weekend in South Australia this week so hopefully i can get it out and dirty, will try to get some good pics to post up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I seeked the cylinder head from my model but can't find it.Does any knows the cylinder head engine from 87-2007 suitable for the 2008-2013? On the picture they looks the same. Part numbers are different. Sorry for my language).

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
motophil -

They are all generally interchangeable.

There were some changes in the 1996 model year. I don't think the head was involved, but it might be best to look for a 1996 and newer head.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with Vance and Hines HCR and am very happy with it. Its on my '08, I had a Supertrapp on my '87 and it was too damn loud. The Vance will still produce the decibels when cranked out but it sounds legal at lower revs, you'll be very happy with it.
But...When combined with the K n' N filter you really should be looking at re-jetting. Ive done the L mod, cut the screen out, KnN, and the pipe with a stage 2 rejetting and the thing pulls hard, a big difference, no match what so ever compared to stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts