Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weekends ago I took my bike for about a 50 mile ride, and it ran fine. Took a couple breaks during the day and it started each time with no problem. On my way home I stopped for gas, was low, but not on reserve yet. Filled the tank, drove home about 3 miles. Again all seemed fine. Then the next morning it wouldn't start easily. I finally got it running, and warmed up, but running a bit rough, so I shut it off. Then I went to restart it, and it would not start. I have not been able to get it started since. Pulled the carb to make sure it didn't have gunk in it. Looked fine, so I put it back in. Cleaned the plug. Filled the float bowl with known good gas, just in case, but still won't start. Any ideas? I've only owned the bike since this summer, so I don't know the history. It did tend to backfire at times when decelerating, so I've been running some SeaFoam in it, which I think was helping. I read through a bunch of threads here on the forum, but none seemed to have found or posted the fix for a similar issue.

Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
82 Posts
A couple weekends ago I took my bike for about a 50 mile ride, and it ran fine. Took a couple breaks during the day and it started each time with no problem. On my way home I stopped for gas, was low, but not on reserve yet. Filled the tank, drove home about 3 miles. Again all seemed fine. Then the next morning it wouldn't start easily. I finally got it running, and warmed up, but running a bit rough, so I shut it off. Then I went to restart it, and it would not start. I have not been able to get it started since. Pulled the carb to make sure it didn't have gunk in it. Looked fine, so I put it back in. Cleaned the plug. Filled the float bowl with known good gas, just in case, but still won't start. Any ideas? I've only owned the bike since this summer, so I don't know the history. It did tend to backfire at times when decelerating, so I've been running some SeaFoam in it, which I think was helping. I read through a bunch of threads here on the forum, but none seemed to have found or posted the fix for a similar issue.

Thanks,
Dean
Morning Dean I am far from the best help available on this forum, but here goes.... If it ran fine 'til the gas stop I would look real hard at fuel contamination. Did you actually have the jets out or just clean the float bowl? A complete carb cleaning is probably a good step. Drain some of the new gas into a clear jar and look for water or particles. I suppose that the SeaFoam may have loosened some trash that may be clogging jets. Eliminate the simple things first and don't panic ( that's what I usually do-panic that is) You will be able to sort it out Ride safe Rebar James in Friendswood Texas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try not to panic. Wasn't planning to spend the nice remaining days in New England with my bike not running...

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Backfiring on deceleration is normal; it's a lean pop caused by the overall lean condition the carb is set up in from the factory. Seafoam won't help with a lean pop. A loose/leaky exhaust header gasket makes it worse; check that.

The 22 cent mod and richening the idle mixture can help.

Watch the videos to understand what that's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3s67DOJbACwS_n6-lRcka2-DIAmdX1Ez

To rebar's point, fuel contamination or crap loosened by the Seafoam would be a likely place to start.

All it takes is a bit of crap the size of a pinhead (no, not me, I'm big) to clog up the carb.

Cleaning requires complete dis-assembly, but it is not that hard.

Watch the videos to understand what that's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3s67DOJbACxmD1ELlzJDN-M-H_ha-mIF

Apologies for the wheedling narration and the less than perfect video production standards. The guy is a pinhead...

Attached is a pretty good description of the carb. Read it, know it, live it.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tom, that PDF you posted is fantastic - thanks!

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
You're welcome, Medicineball.

It's an oldie but a goodie. I saved it as a .pdf because the websites that have hosted the html version have come and gone and I was afraid of losing it.

Redondo Ron, wherever you are and whoever you are, we owe ya a cold one for that document...

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately my bike is not running, and 45 minutes away. I'm away this weekend, so it will be another week at least before I can dig in some more... Summer's going too quick...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread, had the same problem with my 2014ne yesterday, it had only been two weeks since I rode it last!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing really positive to report yet. I did hire a guy (sort of a traveling bike mechanic) to take a look at it. He did find some gunk in the pilot jet, but then noticed that I have no spark either. I hadn't even checked that because I was so sure it was a fuel issue. He traced it as best as he could (though he admitted he wasn't an electrical expert) and said he thought I needed a new coil. I'm a bit doubtful on a 2009 bike, but got a new one anyway, and will try it this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I put in the new $100 coil, and no big surprise, it still didn't spark, but I happened to be looking at the plug when I switched the kill switch on and off, and the plug sparked. And it would spark once every time I did it. Not sure what that means except that the plug is capable of sparking. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I eliminated the vacuum system altogether for this reason.

There are obviously aftermarket units available but I took apart the stock
petcock and took out the lil' diaphragm thingie and reassembled it. Capped off
the vac nipple behind the petcock, and the one on the carb for a full flow unit.

Just another thing that can leave a rider stranded. This also goes for the safety
switches which can garner crud and cause headaches.

The carb has been off my bike multiple times chasing a gremlin-bit or changing
stuff around and is quite easy to get used to.

Just a semi-educated shot in the dark is that you began losing vac suction at the
fuel valve (petcock), and after a few dozen miles it got leaky enough to completely stop
flowing fuel. You confirmed that somewhat by adding fuel through a spray can
and it ran. You already have air and spark. The other offender could be a float
needle valve getting stuck. Laying odds on a vac-loss tho. Check the whole set
of tubes for cracks or splits. My '09 came with horrible rubber parts even down to
the headlight boots and nearly everything has been upgraded. Virtually everything was
cracking within two years.

Los Cheapos Muchos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts