Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one have one like this? 12,200 miles on the factory plug running 87 octane gas since new. burns oil (685 anyone?) but runs decent otherwise. A true mix of on and off highway miles. I look forward to your thoughts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
pretty small pic but looks like ash deposits from oil or fuel additives, which makes sense seeing as you know its passing oil. whether its passing by the rings or valves would need to be determined but seeing as its an 09..... i think we know the rings are the likely culprit.

of course if you tear it down to do the cylinder/rings/piston you would be able to check the valves and at minimum have them lapped or repaired if needed.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
any one have one like this? 12,200 miles on the factory plug running 87 octane gas since new. burns oil (685 anyone?) but runs decent otherwise. A true mix of on and off highway miles. I look forward to your thoughts.

Looks almost exactly like the plugs I've taken out of my friend Jim's '09 oil burner every 10,000-15,000 miles.
His has about 59,000 miles now.

658 or 685 either one will work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and cleaned it up, gapped and installed a new one, I'll keep this one for an emergency spare. I'll be checking it more often than 12,000 miles now that I know what it does.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Eventually the buildup bridges the gap and no more spark! Usually leaving you on the roadside of a busy highway or in the middle of nowhere.:t1202:
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
341 Posts
Looks almost exactly like the plugs I've taken out of my friend Jim's '09 oil burner every 10,000-15,000 miles.
His has about 59,000 miles now.

658 or 685 either one will work.
Then again, you can buy a lot of oil and spark plugs for the price of a 658/685 kit, either one. If it continues to run OK, that is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts