Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years of ownership, I finally took my pig out into the environment for which it was made. I decided that the rear shock is inadequate. I want a new shock, but I don't really want to shell out $500 for a new one. It was suggested to me that I could just get a stronger spring to put onto the stock shock and that should help things out. I have a ton of crap on my bike, so the stock shock just doesn't cut it. However, I also have a Barbie that is need of a rear shock. I was wondering if the 09 shock would fit onto a 94 KLR?? If it can, I might consider a new after market shock for the 09 and put the 09's shock onto the Barbie.

I hope you guys understand my rambling and can toss some suggestions my way. Remember, I am a KLR (2 actually) owner, so that means I am cheap.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Erik, you may be cheap but you have very good taste in motorcycles and beer!

I went with the Cogent Dynamics Moab shock and couldn't be happier. Rick dialed it in perfectly for me. It was a chunk of change but the unit is rebuildable so it should be the last shock I'll ever need to purchase. The stock shock is a POS in my opinion and replacing it is one of the best mods you can do to the bike.

I couldn't say if the 09 will fit Barbie.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, i'd love to purchase an aftermarket shock cause i agree the oem is extremely subpar. But my wife would have a fit if i spent any more $$ just after blow my wad on a Sargent seat ("whats wrong with the seat thats on it now...?"). I'd like to hear more about just replacing the spring though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Erik, you may be cheap but you have very good taste in motorcycles and beer!

I went with the Cogent Dynamics Moab shock and couldn't be happier. Rick dialed it in perfectly for me. It was a chunk of change but the unit is rebuildable so it should be the last shock I'll ever need to purchase. The stock shock is a POS in my opinion and replacing it is one of the best mods you can do to the bike.

I couldn't say if the 09 will fit Barbie.

I have one of his shocks on my Bandit. I love it, I just don't really want to spend $500 right now. I did some really good gravel/dirt roads the last two days and I really want to get this bike better set up for it. You know how much crap I travel with. Its hard to get that pig over rough ground when the shock is under-sprung.

I'm going to hold off a bit until I can find someone who has put the newer shock on the older body.

Still can't decide what to do with the Barbie. I think I might just super-moto it. :28:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts